1972 1500 Fuel Pump Issue

Patrick Hatton

Hello there. I am 17 years old and I have just purchased a 1972 Triumph 1500!

Has started fine first time for the last few days since buying it and has been a joy to drive as my first car. Today I went to start it and it wouldn't fire... The fuel filter was pretty much empty of fuel when trying to start the engine. and when I disconnected the filter, it was full of sediment. I then checked the fuel pump and disconnected the hose going to the fuel filter from the fuel pump and turned over the engine on the starter motor. No fuel squirted out of the pump... So I then thought the pump had gone stopped working. Because of the amount of sediment in the fuel filter, I thought that there was a chance of the fuel lines being blocked from the tank going to the pump. the car has just over half a tank of fuel in it and parked on a slight slope.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Patrick

Congratulations on your new car.

If you have access to a compressor try blowing through the fuel line from the pump into the tank. Take the filler cap off  ;D

If the car has been standing for a while, and then been filled with petrol there may be a quantity of rust that has bee stuck to the inner walls of the tank. This is caused by codensation in an empty tank.

You may end up needing a few filters, or taking the tank out to clear it (worst case).

Thank you for the quick reply Richard!

I don't currently have access to a compressor unfortunately...
The car has only done 25,000 miles from new and has been in storage for most of its life. The previous owner kept minimal fuel in the car and only drove it when the MOT was due! So I think there could defiantly be a build up of rust. I just hope its a fairly simple... and cheap fix!

Thank you for the quick reply Richard!

I don't currently have access to a compressor unfortunately...
The car has only done 25,000 miles from new and has been in storage for most of its life. The previous owner kept minimal fuel in the car and only drove it when the MOT was due! So I think there could defiantly be a build up of rust. I just hope its a fairly simple... and cheap fix!

Simple, yes.

Cheap, yes.

Time consuming, oh, yes.. :-(

With my 2.5PI, I had the tank out about 6 or 7 times, trying to get ever more rust out.

Had about an egg cup full the first time.....

Purchased a NOS tank in the end, then promptly did damage to the engine.

At least the tank comes out of a 1500 easier.

I had a big bag of nuts, counted them all in, shook and rotated etc the tank for as long as my arms would take it, and then counted them all out again.

Run with a couple of big filters, I used 3.2 Vectra ones as they were cheap on Ebay, and the Triumph hoses were a push fit.

You should be able to blow back down the fuel line if you take a deep breath!