jollyj54

Hello all,

Just bought triomatic (second one Ive had)
This smells strongly of petrol when running and uses lots!!!!
(Has not been used for 13 or so years but been started regularly)
Any ideas where to look first please?

Thanks in advance!!
J

No - all plugs spark - going to check compression 1st. It passed mot at 25000 then was not used after 25600miles. Do head gaskets go easily?
Took top cam belt cover off and found timing marks. Does this mean the top pulley has been removed and fitted the wrong way round????????
J

Put new leads and one to coil. Waiing for rotor  arm and dizzy cap. But so far no improvement. Is cleaning carbs out a do it yourself job???
Also how do I check the firing order? Put leads on one at a time but they may have been wrong to start with!!
H

Thank you.

Checked and is correct. Also took carbs off and found mixture screws have been played with!!! Cleaned carbs and reset mixture screws 2 1/2 turns
out. Car fired up jolly well but not perfectand would idle happily.  Stopped and gave each screw a 1/4 turn out and it ran very badly. 1/4 turn in but still very lumpy and wont idle - clean tank now I suppose and re clean carbs??

J

There's just one more thing (in the words of Columbo!).

Have you checked the ignition timing? The Triomatic has a different setting to the manual. The crankshaft pulley has 3 markings. I can't remember off the top of my head because I'm posting this from work. I'll check my manuals and post my findings.

On the subject of fuel, there's a filter on the nearside of the tank. If you remove the NSR wheel you can see it. Becuase the original filters are virtually non-existent you will have to replace it with a universal inline one (the bigger the better). Also, try blowing compressed air through the fuel line. It is amazing how much crap will come out. This is something I need to do with Blue. Should you need to remove the fuel tank it isn't too difficult. There are 4 bolts holding the tank on to the body. The front 2 don't need to be removed becuase the flanges  at the front have slots instead of holes so you can just slide it out after you've removed the rear 2 bolts. It'll make sense when you do the job.

Thank you.

All checked.   Took carbs off and cleaned them out. Mixture screws had been altered, one was nearly right in and the other 4 turns out!!! Reset
to 2,1/2 turns out and it started and ran better than it ever has. However stopped and gave a further 1/4 turn out and now it wont run properly again. Put back to 2 1/2 turns but useless. Do I have to clean all fuel stuff out? Been sat for 13 years I know!!
J

Ooops!!! Didnt spot the second page so thought my post was not there!!!!

Have checked static timing but it wont idle to use a light. Thanks for fuel tips i'll drain tank etc and use new filter. Reclean carbs too.
At least it DID run nicely for a few moments so their is hope!!

How do I put pics on here?
J

From memory, the ignition timing is 5deg BTDC for the manual and 11 deg BTDC for the Triomatic. Also from memory the markings on the timing pulley from right to left (looking at it from above and facing the timing belt cover) are TDC, 5 deg BTDC & 12 deg BTDC.

Frustrated!!!!  Drained tank to best of my ability. New fuel filter. New plugs, cap and leads inc. one to coil. (Have not found rotor arm replacement)
Took carbs off again and cleaned and reset. Fires up instantly (no choke needed, is this a clue?) but wont run smoothly or idle although it did once for a few mins. Be glad of any more ideas please!!!
John

Managed to get it ticking over by weakening mixture - plugs still sooty black and  black exhaust. Choke butterflies working. What else can give over rich mixture - am stumped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried that now. Still puffs out lots of sooty black smoke and runs as if the choke is out. Are there any carbs about for sale?? Cant think of anything else. Altered timing too. The exhaust makes eyes run - although I thought I had siphoned all the old fuel out would a tiny bit left mess things up so? How do you check the electrnic module? If anyone is around Chippenham anywhen let me know!!!!!!!