RAY J

On ebay there i a set of twin carbs su1/25 for a 1200 herald .
Question is ive never come across this set up for a 1200 what are the benerfits fitting these as apose to leaving car with a single carb.

Thanks  RAY J

PS I write this and become a club member again

Hi Ray,
The TC uses a longer exhaust manifold, the shape is the same as that of the 12/50 with it's larger bore downpipe. In the 12/50 this is good for 3 bhp (according to stats). This benefit of the TC setup is undeniable, but in most cases there is little further gain, the 12/50 manifold and exhaust will give comparable improvement. The factory TC spec included a raised compression ratio and cam change which did serve some purpose.
Most TC conversions on Heralds are done for vanity rather than for effect. In my experience there will be a marginal increase in power above 4500rpm, with some reduction in fuel economy. It is arguable that torque at low engine speeds is reduced with the TC installation, but I don't have any scientific backup for this,
Cheers,
Bill.

Hi Bill
I am changing 1200 to a 1250 and have a manifold for a 1250  apart from bolting the carbs on is there anything to be done to engine. Because i will be getting the1250 rebuilt early next year . fancy a job bill if you can do it .

RAY J

• 2 weeks later...

Archived