Looking to buy back my Dad's old Triumph Spitfire.

Eleanor Wheeler

Hello everyone, myself, brother and sister are in search of my Dad's old triumph spitfire. He sold the car around 1990 as he was starting a family with my mum, however he sadly passed away last year and me and my siblings would love to find the car and potentially buy it back if the current owner is willing. I'm getting married next winter and would love to use the car as my wedding car and have a part of my Dad history with me. The Reg is GPP 725G and was sold as a British racing green colour, however it looks as if it may have been sprayed red according to the GOV website. If anyone can help, I would be so so grateful! My phone number is 07582 190802 if you have any information on the car. Thank you!

Hi Eleanor. Not an expert in all this but that car hasn't been taxed since 2003 (at least). If it's still around then it might be buried in someone's garage but it's been off the road for a long time, and might well have been scrapped but not registered as such. 

If it's still around it might be close to wherever your dad sold it, potentially. What part of the country was it?

Good luck though, sorry to hear of your loss. 

Hi Pete,

Thanks so much for your response! Yes we did notice that and we're hoping it's just locked away in someone's garage somewhere. We're not 100% sure where or who my Dad sold the car too, but he was in Stevenage at the time so I'm assuming it would be someone in the Hertfordshire area!

This may be an impossible task but we can but hope. Thank you for your kind words!

Hi Eleanor,

Thank you to TheScrapman who flagged your story to me and who appears to have a photographic memory for number plates.

I bought the Spitfire from your father, I think I bought it in Hemel Hempstead, or somewhere nearby in Hertfordshire. 

I had owned several Spitfires previously, and discussed with my brother what my ultimate Spitfire would be - a MkIII with 2500cc straight six engine and  GT6 suspension - exactly what your father had for sale! It was a bit rough in places, but went like a rocket!

It was indeed British Racing Green at the time and had obviously seen a lot of previous enjoyment.

Over seven years, I replaced the bonnet, gearbox, bumpers, wheels, hood, doors and many other parts. The beautiful bespoke interior was trimmed by Cliff - who you occasionally see on Car SOS.

Once the bodywork was done, in 1997 I had it painted Jaguar regency red (burgundy) and absolutely loved the car. It even won a concours prize at the TSSC national.

I'm afraid the story does not end well. In 2002 I took it France as a reconnaissance for the events that TheScrapman (Colin) and I went on to run at the Le Mans Classic from 2004 onwards. Once home from the event I parked it outside my house and during the night the wiring shorted out causing a fire.

It was a much loved car by me, family, and local car club members. I knew every nut and bolt on it. If events had been different, I would still have it to this day and would have happily loaned it to you.

Philip Willcocks 

SpitfireGT.jpg

DSCF0008.JPG

DSCF0018.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Piiiiip said:

Hi Eleanor,

Thank you to TheScrapman who flagged your story to me and who appears to have a photographic memory for number plates.

I bought the Spitfire from your father, I think I bought it in Hemel Hempstead, or somewhere nearby in Hertfordshire. 

I had owned several Spitfires previously, and discussed with my brother what my ultimate Spitfire would be - a MkIII with 2500cc straight six engine and  GT6 suspension - exactly what your father had for sale! It was a bit rough in places, but went like a rocket!

It was indeed British Racing Green at the time and had obviously seen a lot of previous enjoyment.

Over seven years, I replaced the bonnet, gearbox, bumpers, wheels, hood, doors and many other parts. The beautiful bespoke interior was trimmed by Cliff - who you occasionally see on Car SOS.

Once the bodywork was done, in 1997 I had it painted Jaguar regency red (burgundy) and absolutely loved the car. It even won a concours prize at the TSSC national.

I'm afraid the story does not end well. In 2002 I took it France as a reconnaissance for the events that TheScrapman (Colin) and I went on to run at the Le Mans Classic from 2004 onwards. Once home from the event I parked it outside my house and during the night the wiring shorted out causing a fire.

It was a much loved car by me, family, and local car club members. I knew every nut and bolt on it. If events had been different, I would still have it to this day and would have happily loaned it to you.

Philip Willcocks 

SpitfireGT.jpg

DSCF0008.JPG

DSCF0018.JPG

Hi Phillip,

This is amazing thank you so much for your message! We feel so lucky to have found out the story and life of my Dads car.

It’s such a shame it caught fire, but the pictures are great, it looks like it was extremely well loved which makes us all so happy!

My Dad adored this car and loved working on it. He stripped it to its bones and did a load of work on it himself. His dream was to be a mechanic but then he found out he had Muscular Dystrophy in his early 20’s and that dream was no more. He started a family with my mum shortly after finding out which was his main reason for selling the car, he would have hated for it to sit around and deteriorate as his condition got worse and the time kids took up! He was the most selfless man and always out everyone else first before himself. Sadly last April at the age of 56 he passed away. 

I can’t tell you how chuffed we are to see these photos so thank you!

best wishes,

Eleanor

here are a few of my Dad with the car before he sold it…

70A05B48-B828-4388-9DC7-A21E864EC0E1.jpeg

ECFA7C3C-58DE-4B2F-BAA9-AF0E76BC1773.jpeg

B34B8772-D92F-48DA-8F75-D50EC50B2319.jpeg

1540B584-9E49-4F53-B381-1A2C614B731E.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...