Alternator Wiring

Wolverine27

Hi
i am currently head to toe in dust trying to replace my alternator. i have on there a japanese sports version i believe( no longer works) and I swapping it with a standard lucas, but im stumped on the wiring, any ideas? is something missing? ( new one is the second pic of the wiring attachment)

the large brown cable is the charge supply
the small brown/yellow cable is the ignition light indicator
not sure on the red one, this looks like an add on, check where the red one runs to.

looking at your new alternator in the pic, the top two terminals (the copper looking ones) are the output, the large brown cable should connect to one of these, possibly the red too if it runs to the same place as the large brown.

the bottom terminal (the silver looking one) should be slightly smaller, the small brown/yellow cable connects to this, and when the alternator charges it extinguishes the ign light on dash.

check where that red cable goes to before starting the car up, and also never run the car with the alternator disconnected or the alternators output will have nowhere to go and will fry the internal diodes

hope this helps
Alex

Archived