Alternator conversion

oldbob

I tried using the herald to get to work today but after 10 miles with the headlights on the battery died, the RAC man reckoned it was not charging. I had already got hold of an Alternator as I want to convert to Halogen headlights, can anybody tell me which way to wire it in. It is supposed to be from a Spitfire and is stamped 35A.The four terminals on it are marked IND, BAT ,+ ,- .
I do have a workshop manual although the wiring diagram for the Herald is missing so I'm working off the diagram for the Spitfire is this likely to work OK? 

IND :: INDICATOR which goes to your dash battery light: small brown/yellow wire
- :: EARTH usually to the alternator bracket.

The two remaining are SENSE (goes to battery and 'tests' it) and OUTPUT (goes to battery and charges it)
SENSE uses the small brown wire.
OUTPUT uses the big fat brown wire.

Trouble is I can't tell from your alternators '+' and BATT which is which!

Does one of them have a different type of connector to the others? If so, it is most likely the OUTPUT so use the big fat wire.

Hopefully someone else can fill in the blank, I take no responsibility for you blowing anything using this wiring!

Usually they have 3 wires going to them. Two big ones and a little one.

Little one goes to the dash light - as John says - and the two big fat ones go to the battery. The two big ones are actually connected together - so it doesnt matter where they go.

That's as far as I remember now!

If you're changing over from a dynamo you need to look at your regulator box and join a few wires together - that's where the dash light and the fat wires interface... If I remember correctly you put the large wires together (input and output charge voltage - and then two smaller wires together) Don't follow those as instructions though! If you look at your wiring diagram it will become apparant!

I now have the alternator on and wired up. Would a reading across the battery terminals of 15V be about right at idle, dropping to 14V with the headlights on?
The ignition light goes off when it should, except it glows faintly when the instrument lights are on. Would I be right in thinking/hoping this is only seepage from the instrument lights?
By the way, thanks for the help so far I know its only common sense but it definitely helps to be able to ask.

Archived