Acclaim exhaust blowing near manifold

I have a beautiful Axcxlaim HLS with 23K miles from new. It seems to have passed the last 2 MOT's with a slight leak somewhere in the region of the exhaust manifold or where the down pipe fits into the manifold. I've tried tightening the nuts / bolts to no avail. I do not have a decent toolkit anymore and I am wondering whether anyone knows of a decent mechanic / garage near to Walsall, West Midlands where I can take the car to have it fixed.

I use this garage if I need to use one at all, they are fair and do not rip anyone off, it would hurt to say I have put you in touch, but the only problem is that they are stacked out with work at the moment, in fact I'm waiting for them to do a little welding on my Acclaim which incidently sounds like it has an exhaust blow by the manifold........ this is where we came in!!!

Brooklyn Garage Ltd
Motor vehicle repairer
Address
686 Aldridge Road
Birmingham
B44 8NJ

Telephone, fax
Tel: 0121-360 2184
Fax: 0121-360 5598

Thanks to those who have responded. Today I have been able to get underneath for a proper look. The leak definately comes from the junction of the down pipe to manifold. Also, I have found my toolkit (thought I lost it when I moved house) so I will attempt to repair myself. It seems to just be a matter of removing the hot air shroud surrounding the manifold, loosening the clamp just below the area concerned and hopefully properly retightening the fasteners, possibly with some kind of high temperature sealant applied to the area for good measure. Failing that I will take it to the place you recommended. The engine mountings appear to be in good condition by the way.
Thanks again

If you're member I suggest you pick the brains of Christopher Green who is the Acclaim consultant. Contact dtails are in the mag. Another source of information is Barry McGrath who has managed to source a relatively cheap exhaust system. His wife Caroline is the club librarian and once again contact deatils are in the mag.

Archived