Petrol tank lever on 13/60 Herald

Colin Armstrong

The lever serves to 'switch' the pick up pipe from main to reserve. In the normal position it points towards the back of the car, in reserve position it points to the right. It is a very basic system that just turns the pick up pipe a bit lower in the tank.

There is a label on the tank top to show this  - well there should be/was. The label is still available I think from some suppliers. One of the experts will be along in a minute to give you the part number and who has them.

3 hours ago, Rosbif said:

There is a label on the tank top to show this  - well there should be/was. The label is still available I think from some suppliers. One of the experts will be along in a minute to give you the part number and who has them.

Well, I'm no expert but this gives me an excuse to make my first posting on the new website!

The Reserve Tank Transfer for Herald/Vitesse is part no 125061 and is available from Canley Classics, James Paddock or Rimmer Bros.

Edited by Pete Arnold
spelling correction

• admin changed the title to Petrol tank lever on 13/60 Herald

Remember, this is a lever to switch between clean fuel and the fuel with added crappy flakey bits of scale that settle in the bottom of the tank.

It's a very simple mechanism, if you take the pipe out of the tank it's just a curved pipe.

Leave it on 'main' and never got to 'reserve' unless you're confident your tank is clean 🙂

18 hours ago, Rosbif said:

The lever serves to 'switch' the pick up pipe from main to reserve. In the normal position it points towards the back of the car, in reserve position it points to the right.

As I said, also shown on the images of the label

On 03/05/2021 at 19:56, Rosbif said:

The lever serves to 'switch' the pick up pipe from main to reserve. In the normal position it points towards the back of the car, in reserve position it points to the right. It is a very basic system that just turns the pick up pipe a bit lower in the tank.

Thanks 

I always used to run mine on reserve so that it did pick up any crap. I made sure I had a good fuel filter before the fuel pump.

Some people always keep their tank as full as possible for the same reason and it doesn't make sense to me. Most of it's all going to get shaken up when you drive anyway and I'd much rather let the filter do its job than let it accumulate and have a reduced range.

5 hours ago, ferny said:

I always used to run mine on reserve so that it did pick up any crap. I made sure I had a good fuel filter before the fuel pump.

Some people always keep their tank as full as possible for the same reason and it doesn't make sense to me. Most of it's all going to get shaken up when you drive anyway and I'd much rather let the filter do its job than let it accumulate and have a reduced range.

A sort of logic there, never thought about it for the car - fill up drive off...

when we get a delivery of heating fuel the heating has to be off and they always say leave it off for 3 hours to let the disturbed deposits settle again, there is a filter in the system of course.