retro

Well, it looks like my whole exhaust has had it.  So I'm going to need a whole new exhaust system.  The manifold is OK, but everything else.... err, no!

What do you recommend?  Should I go with an original style exhaust?  These seem to be readily available and fairly cheap.  Or should I go with a Stainless Steel one?  These are more expensive, but I guess last longer.

Also, there's a lot of fluctuation in price from company to company.  Has anyone had any dealings with any stainless exhaust systems for a Herald?  (mine's a 12/50)

Rareparts4classics
306443 Front pipe (12/50 & twin carburettor)  £18.00
305635 / 3074 Silencer & tailpipe  £30.00

James Paddock
JPH 453 EXHAUST SYSTEM STAINLESS 1250 £ 90.00
special offer
EXHAUST SYSTEM S/STEEL 1200 1250 13/60 £75.00

Rimmer Bros
Part Number RH5039
Description S/S EXH/SYS HER 1250
Retail Price £135.13 inc. VAT  (£115.00 exc. VAT)

Canley
PART NUMBER : X4S
DESCRIPTION : EXHAUST SYSTEM - HERALD 12/50
RETAIL : £140.26 

Quiller
HERALD 1200 62-67 SINGLE CARB DOWNPIPE GEX1246 (3 PART SYSTEM) £25
HERALD 12/50 stainless £144

TSSC
Herald 12/50 Standard Exhaust System BE183 £175.00 (Member £145.00 )

Why the different range in prices?  Are they different exhausts?  Does anyone know whether any are particularly good (or not good)?

"Why the different range in prices?" well that'll be because they all take different margins and could be selling different things. I would hazard a guess that Rimmers Paddocks Canley and Bill (Rarebits) get theirs from the same place but Bill's looks like a mild steel price. I've nothing good to say about Quillers so I'll say nothing :-) The TSSC have a policy of pricing their bits high to keep demand low where they can offer excellent service (yes you did read that right)
You've shown up an interesting point there, that's the first time I've seen Rimmers cheaper than Canley, worth a call to each to see what they difference is as that's very unusual. Someone, and it might have been Bill, had lots of mild steel exhausts and therefroe were selling at quite a cheap price - coudl be worth it if funds are scarce - how much do you use teh car?

Well, the car is off the road at the moment, in need of quite a bit of work... so not a lot!

It is actually my first car, so once I've restored it (and passed my test!!) it will be the car that I drive all the time.

Yes, those are Mild Steel prices from Bill... and yes, he probably does have quite a few... as do Quiller.

[quote by=C_Mallock link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1128355701,s=3 date=1128362767]I dont like stainless exhausts because they last to long i like to have a fresh soot free pipe and baffles every few years[/quote]

I love stainless because they represent fab value for money and are much easier to clean than a mild exhaust.

I tend to look after my stainless twin system on the spitty, it really doesnt take much effort to make it look like new.

[quote by=Spitfire4me link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1128355701,s=5 date=1128364832]and stainless seems to boom for a while too[/quote]

Ahh, so I'll just be glad that the exhaust isn't leaking everywhere and spluttering out rust any more... and you'll be checking to see if it sounds nice!!

Anyone know if Paddocks prices are with or without VAT?  There seems to be quite a jump from their stainless to Rimmer's/Canley's!

I can't comment for any of the other suppliers, the majority of my systems are original Stanpart components. As some of these have been in storage for a long time they are not as beautifully finished, but they will fit!
Herald systems can be a problem to ship, the original front pipe exceeds 2.5 metres (except for the Mk1 cars), so carriers are keen to apply a surcharge as an oversize package. Many modern systems have the front pipe made in two parts for ease of shipping,
Cheers,
Billl.

Archived