CRAJ

So tommorrow I have to be in work at 6am, Amanda will be taking her Peugeot in to work for 8am so I will be taking the estate.
Quick check of the car when I got home and swap them about on the drive to make it less of a task at half five, battery flat.
Quick jump start from the 206 and leave it idling for a while, then swap the cars about. No lights! Well apart from sidelights.
Stripped the column shrouds off and I have 13.8volts even at the blue/red cable leaving the column stalk, but at the relay feeding the dipped beam lights I have 6-9volts.
Previously the rotary light switch has needed the occassional twist about to work, I think the switch is able to pass the voltage, just not the current required to actuate the relay even. The relays are all of the fused type which are fine and the battery feed to them is ok as the mainbeam flasher still works proving the feed to the relays.

Any thoughts would be welcomed, I'm thinking that the rotary switch is tired or possibly the column stalk.

Colin.

The rotary switch is prone to this sort of behaviour.  With a history of "needing a wiggle" I reckon it'll that.  It can be dismantled and the contacts cleaned if you don't have a spare.  It's "sealed for life" in theory but the crimped areas where the bakelite backplate goes in the housing can be gently opened out and the back-plate pulled out.  There are springs in there so care needed at the point of separation!

Cheers

Nick

LEE_GODFREY wrote:
Can't you swap the one off PI to check if it is switch?.

Might be able to Lee, but the pi has a foglight and parking light position as well, so has a few more cables and positions. The estate being FL has the cost cutting off, sidelights and headlights switch.

Colin.

One thing I tried when the lights wouldn't work, was spraying lots of WD40 in the switch once I had removed it from the cowling. When I left the car it had made no difference but trying it two days later the problem isn't there anymore. It's very difficult to trace a fault that isn't there so I will see how the lights go for now.

Archived