CRAJ

Apart from Longstone tyres near me in Bawtry (carrying on the highway robbery theme on the great north road made famous by Dick Turpin-at least he wore a mask!) 185-13s are and have been virtually unobtainable for many years.

With this in mind and the fact that even though I have at least a dozen 'S' alloys at home (and really despise them) I have got some 5x14 Stag steel wheels and NOS mk1 rostyle trims.This should give a visually correct look.

The estate has 6x14 MOMO vega wheels with 195/70/14 tyres, very happy with the tyres but concerned that this size is not recommended as a fitment to a 5" width rim.
Currently the pi is on 'S' alloys, 175-14 front, 185-14 rear. The tyres are all of unknown age, but old! So I will have to buy new tyres.
175-14 and 185/70/14 will give an inaccurate speedo and lower gearing, 195/70/14 will be a stretch on the rims and 185-14 would again throw the speedo out, but with the benefit of higher gearing and more mpg.
185-14 are also difficult to obtain.

So what would be the recommendations of other pi owners or Stag owners.

Colin.

You may find this hard to believe but I run 195/60/14's with the 3.45 diff on the brown estate and the speedo is fairly accurate. Even the flashy sign says 58 and my speedo reads 59mph, If I get stuck behind a Tesco lorries at 40 and my speedo reads 41mph, the revcounter also reads the correct revs for the indicated road speed :)
So in a nut shell go for the 60 profiles ;) But buy a good brand of tyre and not cheapies as I have on the estate, because cornering in the wet is danger....exciting ;D  

962 wrote:
You may find this hard to believe but I run 195/60/14's with the 3.45 diff on the brown estate and the speedo is fairly accurate. Even the flashy sign says 58 and my speedo reads 59mph, If I get stuck behind a Tesco lorries at 40 and my speedo reads 41mph, the revcounter also reads the correct revs for the indicated road speed :)
So in a nut shell go for the 60 profiles ;) But buy a good brand of tyre and not cheapies as I have on the estate, because cornering in the wet is danger....exciting ;D  

Sounds like how the pi is now with circa 20 year old Daytons on the car. ;)

195/60 would still give me the same problem as 195/70, the Stag rims are only 5" wide. I bet yours on the estate are 6" pete or at least 5.5".

Colin.

cliftyhanger wrote:
Not a saloon owner, but the 185/70 14 tyres are less than 2% smaller, so a tiny change.
a lot of the 80 series tyres will be for vans these days,  and they are worth avoiding.

Yes I have noticed this, all to do with the loading (ideally wants to be 91, not 102 for light vans) and I don't want 8ply.

Colin.

CRAJ wrote:

Sounds like how the pi is now with circa 20 year old Daytons on the car. ;)

195/60 would still give me the same problem as 195/70, the Stag rims are only 5" wide. I bet yours on the estate are 6" pete or at least 5.5".

Colin.

Good question, I will take a look at the wheel size on the estate and let you know ;)

Archived