replacment front wings

shaboo

Just letting off steam but why don't replacment front wings fit.I have just spent the afternoon trying to fit a wing and outer wheelarch on a 13/60 without much luck.the flange below the indicator/side light is too long and bent the wrong way,the edge of the wheelarch panel doesn't meet the edge of the wing in several places to name a few of the problems.Am I stupid or are all wings as bad as this to fit?

The main tooling for the 13/60 wing survivies, but the way they are supplied suggests that some of the finishing tools have gone missing. There are two real problem areas. The front vertical lip has already been mentioned, not a real heartache to turn that back with a little trimming. The vertical strip up the back edge is also missing the kink at the top, as it stands this will pull the wing inboard of the bonnet top.
There should be no problem with the wheelarch lip, this is more likely to be the fault of the reproduction outer wheelarch bowl. The wheelarch pressings have been re-tooled in the last couple of years, I would consider the current ones to be a good match to the original profile. The older reproduction wheelarches had problems with the outer profile of the bowl, hopefully you've not got a one of these.
Cheers,
Bill.

There certainly are problems with the 'original' 13/60 pressings (as Bill suggested), nothing a good tinny can't sort. Unfortunately the situation is unlikely ever to be sorted now as we have probably seen the last (or about to see the last) run of this tooling. It's the same situation with the early Spitfire bonnet top. That has seen it's last pressing run and the tooling now acts as a rather large anti ram raid bollard outside an industrial unit!

Archived