Rocker cover breather fire trap

daver clasper

Hi

Not got one of these fitted on Vitesse.

Looking at pictures on the net, it looks like a square metal plate fitted, with a gap between R/C breather hole.

Is that about right.

How important is it. I have the original PCV valve fitted which I thought may serve this purpose.

Any help, great please.

Cheers, Dave

theres some on ebay ,  its not overly important , but a gauze in the line is prefered to a flame flash back
eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANG.....WE8l171TITEslc4rTq4w

some have a pot scoured plastic gauge mesh inside ,   wire ones break up with vibration and end up inside the induction

dont loose sleep over it but its something to play with while its raining.

Pete

Why this obsession with 'fire trap'?

Yes, the crankcase is full of oil vapour and droplets, but so saturated that it would not explode.  

Do you remember the "Syrup tin experiment" at school?
Here it is - the teacher's using a Milo-tin (?) but its the same.
Not until the tin (crankcase) contents reach the right mixture of air and gas does it explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQiSCsuxE-k

John

OT^^what size are the connections?

you can employ the same theory for gas speed as that used in the induction and exhaust ie the smaller the bore the faster the speed,a small bore will carry oil vapour further down the line and result in clogging a filter sooner.

best bet is large typically 3/4" or more(to be honest I would go 1"on these engines) breather hoses to allow drop out of oil mist into a catch tank.course it all depends on how worn and how much the engine breathes.

OP as john says I thought it was more of an oil baffle than a flame trap

The gauze reduces the risk any flame crossing the barrier   same principle as the Davy lamp

used by many makers in the 70s  dont think triumph ever used a seperate one , as barrier was inside the tin covers, as were opel /Vx cavaliers,  used to block up  
Hunter Avenger, Rover Sd1 etc   had them in the tubes
Pete