Horn push connector squeak

A TR7 16V

Not a big issue, but there's a squeak from the steering every time I turn the wheel, which goes away when I take the cap off and pull the horn push connector up off the contactor ring. 

I've identified some electrically conductive grease, but thought I'd ask if anyones got experience of the problem and solution.

Graham

I was discussing electrically conductive grease with an ex National Power / CEGB engineer the other day. While its very good initially on electrical contacts it dries out over time and caused more problems than before so they went to using Vaseline, which doesn't dry out.

Quoted from Spitfire6-

Hi,

I do not think Vaseline is a wise choice.

Iain

The Vaseline recommendation came from an old friend and my co-driver in the 10CR who has 45 years experience in the power distribution industry as a senior electrical manager, based on National Power / CEGB experience. Before that I would have considered other electrically conductive greases first, but the supply industry found they had problems.

I personally wouldn't use it at higher voltages, but at the normal 12v car power supply I wouldn't foresee any issues.

Howard (C. Eng, Elec Eng)

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see the suggestion to just clean the ring first, and used a small dab of vaseline. But I did take the wheel off and clean with some kitchen role.

The back of the hub had previously caught on the stearing shaft and switch gear cover, and there was some light alloy swarf in there that might have been related.

Anyway, between the cleaning and the vaseline, it's certainly cured the squeak.  I guess I'll see if it lasts.

Graham