npanne

One of the many "improvements" made by the previous owner of my Spitfire was to replace the horn wiring which runs up the steering column (which I understand regularly fails) and instead wire in a toggle switch under the dash to operate the horn (and not even a spring returning one at that).

I've never been keen on this set-up, and whilst everything else is getting repaired / replaced, I thought I'd look to reinstate the column wiring to the proper horn push, but I can't find the relevent part on Canley's or Rimmer's websites.

Does anyone know whether anyone stocks the wires that run up the column (or know the part number), or know what rating wire i would need to make up my own?

Cheers folks.

OK , so what you need is :
To ensure the live wire is still in the wrapped loom, can`t see anyone just taking out the single wire from a bunch(indicators/lights/horn)
The wire goes up the clamp to column attachment
Into the shroud and attaches to the brass ring on the column
The brush goes behind the horn push which is connected then to earth
The steering column is earthed and a strap bridges the steering UJ to make earth
So the `push` is just making a connectivity

If you need the colours of wires I will send/attach the wiring diagram

To start investigating:
Make sure the bridging strap is attached at the UJ
Check to see if the brass ring is there
If so see what colour cable is attached to the ring

Then we take it from there

From top to bottom:

159761 horn push (Triumph)
alt. 150277 horn push (Triumph shield)
142534 horn top spring connector (Pencil)
608462 horn slip ring with wire (The wire is a single wire, not part of the wiring loom)
The taps that hold down the ring in the steering column are often broken, so you may have to glue or rivet it back in.
130581 earth strap column joint

Cheers,
Harry

Thanks both - I think it's just the "horn ring" part that I need, as the rest of the horn push seems to be intact, and I remember the bridging strap that goes over the joint being there (although I will check it).

Rimmers are showing the horn ring in stock - so problem solved.

Cheers