Lucas Indicator/Flasher Relay 19FL/35089B

lordleonusa

OK here we go, a question for the assembled gurus, many of whom are away on the 10CR, lucky sods!

My Vitesse has, for it's indicator/flasher unit, a (non-original electronic)
Lucas relay part # 19FL/35089B.  

The connectors thereon are:

31- (Black Earth/Ground Wire), which apparently equates to E on other units.

49+ (Green/Grey Stripe Wire), which apparently equates to B on other units.
[i think this is the 12 volt power supply]

49a (Green/Brown Stripe Wire), which appently equates to L on other units.
[i think this is the 'load' wire going to the bubs via the switch]

So obviously it is a three-prong relay.

I recently had cause to suspect it of failure, but it turned out not to be the cause of my suspicions, in fact it was a (bosch) 'ceramic' fuse which had shrunk, but not blown in service! (little bastard).

Anyhow, it became apparently that these 19FL/35089B realys are not available here in the USA, I also could not find any equivalents on-line, which somewhat surprised me!

I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

Does any know of an equivalent by another manufacturer, either in the USA or elsewhere?

I would really like to know the answer to this question, otherwise I will have to order a few spare 19FLs from the UK, in case mine does go out!

L

After a bunch of further investigations, I have made a few minor amendments to my original question above and have also become interested in a related question:

i.e. can I replace the original 2-tag Thermal Hazard Warning Unit, Lucas 8FL, 12Volt, Type 36, (36Watts maximum load), part # 35048B with a more reliable and more easily sourced electronic unit?

I was somewhat surprised that I didn't get one single reply to my original question, but perhaps it's just that everyone is still blasting around Europe on the 10CR?

Léon

You can replace it with an electronic one - you have to add an extra wire (switched 12 volt from memory) as they have 4 tags.
Got mine from a local motor factors for about 6 quid - was just a generic unit - application list on the back of the packet listed just about every car made in the 80's.
I also replaced the voltage regulator with solid state unit at the same time.

By Voltage 'regulator', I assume you mean the Voltage 'stabilser' behind the instruments.

I already did that earlier this year, and now I am looking hard at replacing the instrument lights with LEDs,

Interestingly, or not, I know they are Unipart GLB987 screw-fit bulbs rated at 12V, 2.2 watts, and are common to many Bitish cars of the period, BUT have so far been unable to find another number for those bulbs.

Can someone measure the diameter across the threads for me please?

If they are 12mm, then I stand half-a-chance of the ones I have sourced actually  fitting!

Thanks

Léon

rotoflex wrote:
This is the type of question which usually stimulates the encyclopedic mind of Bill at Rarebits, but he seems to be MIA the last couple of days (10CR-ing, or having-a--life-ing).

I think he's been somewhat busy in the corner of a field, making money. At least he looked like he was getting a fair few punters Saturday...

As for teh flasher - It's not the same as Minors, Midgets etc is it? They're three terminalled things and might be easier to get hold of in the US.

lordleonusa wrote:
By Voltage 'regulator', I assume you mean the Voltage 'stabilser' behind the instruments.

I already did that earlier this year, and now I am looking hard at replacing the instrument lights with LEDs,

Interestingly, or not, I know they are Unipart GLB987 screw-fit bulbs rated at 12V, 2.2 watts, and are common to many Bitish cars of the period, BUT have so far been unable to find another number for those bulbs.

Can someone measure the diameter across the threads for me please?

If they are 12mm, then I stand half-a-chance of the ones I have sourced actually  fitting!

Thanks

Léon

leon the number you need is just the 987 part
the thread dia is 10mm
the thread lenght is 13mm
the screw type is called mes
the o/h of the bulb is 23mm

Silvery wrote:
I think he's been somewhat busy in the corner of a field, making money. At least he looked like he was getting a fair few punters Saturday...

Ha! Yes, Beaulieu was very busy on Saturday, about time too after all the poor weather this year.
For the flashers there are numerous alternatives to the original 3-pin type. Part numbers we buy under are specific to the distributor, rather than meaningful manufacturer codes. On the casing ours are simply numbered 12V 42W/92W - you will appreciate that is the basic specification of the device rather than a part number! As long as the voltage and power requirements are met, a 3-pin flasher unit is a 3-pin flasher unit.
Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks very much for the help above, I am making some progress now.

see here:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u987-small-screw-fitting-bulb-leds-white-p-1028.html

I wonder if these will fit in our Triumph instruments?

I really like the idea of no heat, almost vibration proof, longer service life and possibly brighter to boot!

Since ultraleds is a UK company, perhaps someone there, reading this would try them out for us? Bill ???  :)

If not, I will order some and try them myself, they aren't very expensive.

Best Regards

Léon

Thanks taylormoran

That relay looks like it might be a later replacement for the Lucas 19FL.

I also looked at their replacement for the 8FL two-pin Hazard Light unit, but that one looks like a thermal unit per the original, and that is the one that I am now looking to replace with an electronic unit?

Does anyone know of a suitable 2-pin electronic hazard light unit?

L

Progress!

On the way home from work, I popped into the local friendly auto parts store and found a Tridon Stant 12 volts, 2-terminal electronic, variable load, extended life flasher unit, part # EL12, which the label says lasts 10 times longer than thermal flashers.

Their old (1999) catalogue informed me that the letter L stands for load or lamps, and the letter X is the equivalent of either B, or + on my unit and stands for 12volts power supply, it says that should be a fused supply, which it already is.

Their newer catalogue lists a few Triumphs, from 1977 onwards, namely the TR7 and the late Stag which of course never made it stateside, and said they take the EL12 unit.

The new one has a nice transparent case, so I can actually see the workings inside, which is nice indeed.

It worked perfectly, first time.  ;D

I removed my old aluminium cased thermal flasher unit, which actually turned out to be a Lucas 9FL, 12volts, 12amp max flasher part # 35053B, made in UK, which I will put into my spares supply.

One relay down, one to go.

sigh.

L

Archived