triumph 2500 1974; ignition timing??

build_it_like_bob

• 4 weeks later...

i've found that trump six engines vary a bit as to desired timing, and not necessarily dependent on age or model dizzy.  anything between about TDC and 12 degs before seems to be the range, notwithstanding the spec and the dizzy type for a given model.  i agree that 6 before should work fine for most cars but you might be surprised how much a small adjustment can make.  i know that my mechanics virtually never use a timing light on trump sixes, they tell me they adjust it til it's running best and smoothest.  my own practice for a while has been to set the timing statically at about 10 and then just move it around til it's running best and then put it under load and see how it goes.  yes, i have a timing light, but i find that most useful for checking the total max advance once the car is revved.  that's the more important fig with trump six engines i think.  guys i've spoken to recently with tuned 2500s tell me to aim for max advance of about 27-28 degs and then basically don't worry too much about where it's set at idle.

Archived