Ignition nightmare

Einar

I have got, in my eyes, a huge problem, probably connected to ignition. The car pulls very badly at low speed, low RPM, hard to start etc. I am pretty sure it has to do with ignition. The short story is that last year I fitted an electronic ignition (Newtronics) that has been working very very well. However, I did not fit the power-source etc. very nicely last year, and decided last weekend just to place the power box and leads a bit nicer. Then something must have happened as the car refused to start at all afterwards, no ignition and no sparks to the plugs. Well, I then fitted the traditional mechanical parts and the car started, however I was not able to adjust the ignition in such a manner that it run properly. As I was very satisfied with the el. ignition, I ordered a new one (Lumenition Powerpack). That was mounted yesterday, but I have not been able, so far, to adjust the ignition properly. It still pulls badly at low RPM, hard to start etc. All other ignition parts, coil, leads etc. are pretty much new, and I have checked with other parts. I do not have a clue how to proceed and ask for some input. Hope anyone can suggest how to proceed.

Switching between electronic ignition and points will require setting the timing or at least some minor adjustment of the timing. I don't know Newtronic or Lumenition but my Ignitor needed small adjustment of timing.

I would suggest that there may be some other issue too. So you might want to check the coil and leads to investigate the absence of a decent spark.

Best of luck, Neil

Yes, some minor adjustment. However, I am not able to get it running well at all. All leads, the coil, ignition parts have been checked. I also think there is some other issue but I'm not able to figure it out, or I do not have any suggestions of how to proceed. And the sun is shining here......  :( not sad due to the sunny weather but that I can not drive with the hood down.....

Have you got a decent spark?
Is the ignition timing adjusted correctly?
If electrics are OK as above.
Have you got fuel problems?
Could there be some crud in the carb causing fuel feed problems?

When you say it is not running well, what are the symptoms?
Does it idle OK but fail to rev?

Neil

Of course there can be many reasons, however the car has been running very well in general. All this happened when I should just do minor (only visual) changes with the previous el. ignition.

The car is hard to start, however when started it idle well, it fail to rev. when I would like to drive the car. It misfires etc. until around 3000 rpm then it runs fairly well. Must give relatively much throttle to start moving it. If I do have fuel problems it will happen to be quite a coincidence!

So in short it's crap at low revs but gets far better in the mids and above? And all you've done is change what and how it sparks?

I'm guessing that it's a timing issue.

Set it to book by static, see if it wants to run. If it does undo the dizzy clamp and move it slowly until the engine becomes happy. You'll find its sweet spot.

Ferny and Neil:
Cap and rotor are good an new (have changed them with new items).
Sparks look good. Fuel will be a coincidence (but could be).

Me myself also think it is timing. When setting timing to 13 degrees the engine would hardly move the car, and is bad even at high/medium rev.

I have slowly moved the dizzy but the engine does not become happy - that is my challenge (nightmare)

Ferny: yes, it's crap at low revs but gets better at around 3000 rpm

Einar, if you have a good spark then it can only be timing or fueling. Try retarding the ignition or advancing. It is best never to go by book values but set the timing just so you get a little pinking when putting your foot down hard at 30MPH in top gear.

Have you checked with a timing gun to see whether the advance mechanism is advancing?
Can you check whether the distributor weights and advance mechanism is actual free and not stuck? Whilst checking it is a good idea to use some lithium grease on the springs and weights.

I don't know what else to check. If all that seems OK then start looking at fuel or at least check that the carb is operating as it should and you have petrol coming through from the pump as you should.

You would be amazed by the number of times that people have 2 unrelated faults occur that make fault finding difficult. Don't presume that the fueling is not faulty.

Best of luck, Neil

I've use a timing gun and the respond is as expected when retarding and advancing. I may check whether the weights and advance mechanism is free. It looked OK, but did not do any further check as I'm not quite familiar how those should behave - I will read about it though.

....... and I may further enter the fuel issue as 2 faults can happen simoultaneously.....!

is the vac. advance pipe connected ok?
when it fails to start are the plugs "wet"?
when trying on std. ign. system is the electronic system isolated?
is a fuel filter fitted?
try swopping two plugs leads over to get a backfire to clear any crud in carb
just a few long shot ideas
regards,  bryan

Well, well what to say, the nightmare is over, and it was due to several faulty rotors. I indeed know that the rotors to our ignition system are a weak part. For that reason I always keep 2-3 as spares. Honestly, all these have been interchanged together with other ignitions parts during the last days. However, some days ago I order 2 new ones from Rarebits, and they arrived today. Then I thought just to give them a try, and YESSS the Vitesse started immediately and it runs very smooth, just as I am used to. I have taken it for a ride, and by minor adjustments of the timing the performance further improved, and Yes, I am very happy.

Archived