Car Wont Start - ignition issues

Batch.y

Right - first post, after getting my Spitifre Mk3 - yay!
So recently decided that i needed a hobby! always fancied a Spitfire so thought why not! its the summer lets have some fun!

Having just redone all the Clutch, fixed up the Starter Motor and rebuilt the carbs, i thought right lets try and fire her up! but to my dismay I'm not getting any sparks at the plugs.

I'm trying to work out the best way to diagnose the problem so thougt I would get on here and ask what people think is best to do, and where is best to start.

can anybody please help?

presuming points ignition - do the following - disconnect the lead from coil to distributor and substitute a new length with bared end connected to the coil at the terminal for the contact breaker.
remove the HT lead from the centre terminal on the distributor cap and hold close to a metal surface on the engine .
With the ignition on , flash the bared end against a metal surface on the engine .
There should be a spark from the HT lead to the engine surface if there is power to the coil .
If this is so , then there is a problem in the distributor or rotor head problems of point problems - might be burnt or dirty etc .
If nothing .. try connecting the coil direct to the positive terminal on the battery and try to start the car .. (old car thieves trick).
Be careful that the coil is not a resistance type if doing this as it would cause it to heat up and could burn it out if connected for more than a very short time ..

• 2 weeks later...