Sprayed WD40 in the indicator switch and if caught fire!

A TR7 16V

Well no actual flames as such. Just a bright glow and a lot of smelly smoke. 

It seems like the WD40 washed some old grease into the gap in the copper tracking at the back of the switch, and helped it conduct. That started to smolder and melted more grease, presumably with some conductive metal crap mixed in.

I tried cleaning it 'cos the cancelling mechanism was a bit hit and miss and wondered if it was dirty - well I knew it was dirty, but didn't know if that was that the problem. I now think it's that both mountings have broken and the indicator switch is fixed to two alloy straps off the headlight switch mounts. As a result it's not that well aligned with the cam on the shaft.

I've got a spare switch off the scrap 12/50 Herald I bought. But the 13/60 has a 14" mountney wheel and had a short stalk switch, so the 12/50's may be a bit long. But I'll really only find out driving with it.

I'd have swapped the column out, but the Mountney is on too tight for me to shift single handed - need to hold the wheel with the end of the shaft exposed, and tell a mate, "when I nods me head, you hit it".

Graham

Wheel removal can be done single handed.

The trick is to only undo the securing nut a few turns, so it is still at least half on the column, better if flush with the end but not always possible depends on what wheel is fitted.

Then use on hand and a knee to pull the wheel directly towards you as hard as you can, and use a hefty hammer in the other hand to whack the column down. (these days I use a hefty ali faced hammer, but I have used a large ball-pein many many times in the past with no ill effects)

Got a 3 leg puller somewhere that ought to do for a 3 spoke mountney - hadn't thought of that.

Even if "leg puller" isn't nearly as funny as "When I nod my head, you hit it with the hammer". L&H?

I managed to file the head off the rivet on the short arm switch, clean the PCB inside, and get it back together without losing any bits for any length of time. And it seems to work okay again.

It's holding together with the old rivet without the washer. But I don't think that will hold for long term use, and I can't see there's access to put a long pop rivet in. Maybe an M3 nut and bolt will do - M3 nylocs?

Graham