Spitfire 1500 wiper stalk switch

Dannyb

I'm investigating why my momentary wiper switch does not work ( moving stalk in downward non-locking position)
The wipers operate ok both speeds and self park ok.
For a start I believe there is a spring missing from the stalk. Not sure what type or if I can get hold of one.
The picture shows the switch in the home position.Both terminals seem to go the earth, So moving the stalk downwards just moved the contact to the top terminal. So how does that operate the motor. I have checked the continuity of the wires and all are good. So should I be looking at the motor end of things. Or does the missing spring serve as some sort of contact.
It's all a bit electrickery

Harry, Thanks for that, looks like I will have to make a spring as I doubt anyone would sell them. Do you think the spring is needed to supply 12v as the green is a perm live.  I just cannot see how the wiper motor would energize when moved to the single contact 1.

Hi Dany,
when the wiper stalk is moved to the single wipe, the circuit R/LG to N/LG is brocken (1st speed to selfpark return).
One end of the spring stays on the green contact, and the other end is connected to the 1st speed (R/LG), so the motor starts running. When you let go of the stalk the motor is again in the self park mode and runs to it's end position.

The "red spring" is only to show how it is bend. You can see the form of the real spring above.

Harry

My 99p Mini wiperstalk arrived. It is abou 1/2" longer and the stalk is slightly bent towards the steering wheel compaired to the spity one.
I have two options. either bend the stalk straight which should'nt be that hard and use the new unit or to swap the old stalk over onto the new body which is in better condition and has the important spring fitted. Either way it's not that difficult. The other bit that is different is the plug which will have to swapped over.

Fitted the mini wiper stalk today. I straightened out the stalk to resemble the original and swapped over the plug. All worked a treat.
So if anyone needs to renew the expensive late spit 1500/TR7  wiper stalk (£65) why not buy a new mini one 37H8285 which are about £25 new or cheaper second hand. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them.