Poor quality oil seal

hyperhale

Just looking for feedback on an issue I have had with a timing cover oil seal on a herald block that is now leaking noticeably after only 1100 miles use.

Bought from rimmers as part of a timing chain replacement kit and fitted in January, crankshaft pulley has no sign of wear to cause the problem and prior to fitting there was only minimal seepage from the one I removed that has been in place for many years.

Wondering if anyone had experienced similar problems.

Have now purchased a Payen replacement so hoping for a longer life from this one....

It can be an issue. One club forum (dolomite possibly?) Has mentioned shortening the tensioning spring sonthe lip seals better on the crank. The other issue is the replacement  type are usually thinner, but I think the lip still sits in the same place.
The payen seal should work, I used to keep them "in stock"  because of the repro reputation. Of course the suppliers will  probably say the sell loads and rarely have a problem, and then it is down to poor fitting technique.
However, none of this explains why thecseals are thinner, unless they are much cheaper/more common and should still do the job.

Quoted from cliftyhanger
It can be an issue. One club forum (dolomite possibly?) Has mentioned shortening the tensioning spring sonthe lip seals better on the crank. The other issue is the replacement  type are usually thinner, but I think the lip still sits in the same place.
The payen seal should work, I used to keep them "in stock"  because of the repro reputation. Of course the suppliers will  probably say the sell loads and rarely have a problem, and then it is down to poor fitting technique.
However, none of this explains why thecseals are thinner, unless they are much cheaper/more common and should still do the job.

Thanks Clive...

Its not necessarily a 'repo'' issue.
I can remember way back in the day certain brands of seals were the 'go to' brand for their excellent sealing - Gaco for instance.

A seal will wear in to the shaft and a new one may take time to wear to match the slight wear groove that always exists.

You can buy shim stock sleeves from bearing suppliers (they are only a few thou thick) that you can slip over a shaft to restore the shaft to as new perfection.

Quoted from GT6 M
When re dooing me own engin,  I used a seal wid a double lip,
as me own pully had grooves init,
I got mine frae Chris Witor.   look into it.

M

Thanks M

The Payen seal I have bought as a replacement is supposedly a double lip seal, one inner sprung seal but the outer looks like a finer dust seal to me, was yours a double sprung seal?

Maybe I need to call Chris Witor ...