grunty

I have stripped and cleaned my front struts ready to fit a coil over kit and am wondering what oil to refill with and how much?
I can't use inserts :)

Also, what is the original spring weights for the MK1 estate rear?
thanks
Alan

905 wrote:
I have stripped and cleaned my front struts ready to fit a coil over kit and am wondering what oil to refill with and how much?
I can't use inserts :)

A good motorcycle shop will sell damper oil in different grades.

piman wrote:
Hello Grunty,

why can't you use inserts, that would give you a lot more scope on damper selection?

Alec

Inserts won't fit as the struts are now a tad shorter than they were   ;)

Currently running on 43 year old struts probably containing original sludge and it's fine for my needs :)

Coilovers will be running harder spring and I will fit harder springs to the rear, just need to know the amount of oil in the fronts, workshop manual doesn't even say  :-/

Hello Grunty,

as your running stiffer springs you'll probably need to experiment with the grade of oil to give the damping you need. Often inserts are shorter than the tube and need spacers fitting in the bottom to keep them in place.
Personally I'd start again and use adjustable inserts. There's no need to shorten the tube, just fit the sleeve in the desired position.

Alec

Hello Grunty,

are you saying without shortening the tube would touch the top spring plate, I didn't think that was normally possible?
As I said to Cam on his thread of a similar theme, the limiting factor is the bump stop, which could be removed but you risk body damage to the inner wing strut mounting area. That and poor geometry.

Alec

905 wrote:
I have shortened the tube as i want really low but still retaining some travel, this gives me an extra inch of travel :)

Have you shortened the damper rod by the same amount ?
You will need to or shock will bottom out internaly.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to do any competition work,a word of warning, the front inserts will jump the threads,you can imagine the results.The works WCR 2.5PI's and our WCR 2.5PI (UKV) the strut inserts were tack welded at the top of the threads to stop this happening,2 mins with a hacksaw on replacement.

Archived