GazaGt6

Hi guys,

As some of you may remember, i had oil being pushed through the top of the rocker box. Now i have the top end sealed and there doesn't seem to be any oil (I just hope that i havent done a very good job of hiding a big problem  ;D). however on a test run, the dreading smell of buring oil came back, and on inspection, oil had seeped through between the head and the block on dizzy side. Faulty gasket? warped head/block!? head was skimmed before being fitted this spring, so cant see it being that. Would it be worth taking head of, inspecting, replace head gasket and torque it down again? :o

Thoughts?

regards

Garry

I would retorque the head first, loosen and tighten in turn, easier and cheaper!

You may have as I did a recessed bore gasket on a non-recessed block.

After a few hundred miles it started leaking like the Amoco Cadiz. Had clearly held for many years for it's previous owner, but the 15-odd year period of inactivity was too much for it.

Cheers

Colin

Gaz, you said you had oil blowing out, so by sealing it all up, you will be creating crank case pressure

you really need a biggger vent for the engine, cos a normal engine has about 2-4 cfm blowing past the rings at tickover, so think what it be like at revs

have a look at the majority of our cars after a run at high revs, all covered in oil,!!
basicly the hole in a 4 cyl 1300, is no that much bigger than the vent hole in a 2-2.5 engine
so as you can see, press will build up.

Failing that, maybe a rebore is in order,
or some of that stuff Mr Chatterton /Nik have been using,!!!

rgds marcus

Ahh is the cylinder wall repairing magic juice??  8)!!

I tell you what i have noticed, on tick over there is a knocking sound, higher the revs, the tempo of the knocking increasing (obviously). cant make the link, could be anything i suppose.

Garry

sounds like you have just moved the problem of the high crankcase pressure from the rocker cover  to the head/block joint.  Did you do a compression test??

PS:  well done for sealing the rocker cover.  You must have done a grand job! ;) 8)

Archived