Oil leak on pinion seal

John Bonnett

The oil seal on the diff drive flange is leaking. Can a new seal be fitted with the diff in situ or does the whole thing have to be removed, stripped and rebuilt?

I'm expecting to hear the worst but will be very happy if you can offer good news.

Thank you

John

Should be do able in the car, sure the Haynes manual describes it done that way actually. Get it high and very secure, preferably on ramps, as the torque required to do up and undo the pinion nut is fairly large. To undo it I used a long length of angle iron with two holes in so it can be bolted to the flange, stopping it turning as you undo the nut and vice versa. The most awkward bit is probably going to be removing the split pin, but it should be fine in the car.

2133 wrote:
Should be do able in the car, sure the Haynes manual describes it done that way actually. Get it high and very secure, preferably on ramps, as the torque required to do up and undo the pinion nut is fairly large. To undo it I used a long length of angle iron with two holes in so it can be bolted to the flange, stopping it turning as you undo the nut and vice versa. The most awkward bit is probably going to be removing the split pin, but it should be fine in the car.

Tim that really is good news, thank you for that. I've ordered the seal.

herald948 wrote:
Much or all of the leak might be nothing more than a plugged vent causing internal pressure. Check out this thread:

Sorry , link no longer available

Thank you Andy, a really good point that I hadn't thought of. I'll be sure to check the breather is clear before needlessly changing the seal.

3141 wrote:
Thank you Andy, a really good point that I hadn't thought of. I'll be sure to check the breather is clear before needlessly changing the seal.
I won't guarantee your leak will disappear, but I've been able to bring a leak or two down to almost nothing this way. On the other hand, some new aftermarket seals aren't always a whole lot better than the worn originals that they replace!  ??)

Good news and some very bad news. We put the car on a four post lift last night and found the diff is leaktight. The whole of the chassis rear of the gearbox was coated in oil and the brand new exchange gearbox freshly fitted the day before had only an inch of oil in the bottom after a 220 mile journey. This could explain why the overdrive stopped working  :(

Archived