project oil leak

bill4brickwork

hi all my 1500 spitfire leaks oil in just about every place it can.at least 2 possibly 3 leaks in gearbox,3 leaks on engine, and diff is leaking to. the speedo has packed up and the road tax ran out on 31st of august.so i thought time to have a look.i have taken out the seats lifted the carpet taken off the gearbox cover .when i disconnected the speedo drive if i turn the cable the speedo still does not work so this should iliminate the gearbox end.i have now my gearbox out,rear oilseal weeping oil drain plug leaking gearbox to overdrive gasket  leaking selector 0 ring weeping so i will clean down gearbox before i strip it down,then hopefully start replacing gaskets. the gasket between the gearbox and overdrive has  a pale blue sticky stuff around it ,wonder if i will even find a gasket?i will keep people posted as i progress. the underneath of the car is just one big oil slick so at least it wont rust.

Ask what's a good gasket cement over there.

I had not really thought about it until a few months ago, but the gasketed pieces I put together in my engine rebuild in the early 1980s haven't leaked:  water pump housing, oil pan, maybe some others.  I used Permatex Aviation gasket cement then, & was not particularly attentive to flatness (OK, I just slapped stuff back together).  My car has been pretty much leakless, except some that have developed at the transmission & differential.  I didn't put the transmission/OD together, & cannot remember if this differential is the one for which I replaced seals on the car.

once i start stripping the gearbox i will probably part most of the joints.it is a shame because the gearbox and overdrive work well.at the moment i cannot touch anything because everything is covered in oil.the whole of the underneath is covered in oil and is melting the waxoil.i like the sound of the gasket sealant you have used so will probably track some down

hi all i have just taken off the bell housing, not a trace of sealant apart fom where it was smeard around the outside.the problem i now face is behind the snap ring the actual gearbox case is broken away and i would gues a source for an oil leak.problem now is where do i get a gearbox case from and transfer my parts in or a reconditionded unit stumped at the moment

796 wrote:
that should,nt be a prob, bung some gunge goo in it, and also use silicon for the gaskets.

M

Just had to write off an engine, because somebody smeared some goo instead of using gaskets. The goo ended up blocking an oil channel, and the results of that were very interesting. So the lesson i learned never ever use liquid sealant on something that that contains oil channels.  

Ahh, but all depends on how much you use,
there no oil channels to fill on where that bit is.

must have been wuite liberal with the gunge stuff,or not to know there oil channels ther,or both.

never had a prob,or would no have advised it.
Gaskets leak, a good silicon  / gunge stuff seal dont.

M