Oil / grease bearing

Jonny-Jimbo

This is not related to Triumphs, but it seemed like a good place to start.

One of our projects at uni is to design a differential for use in one of the uni racing cars. It has to be bike (chain, not shaft) driven using an Audi Torsen internal. Other than that we're pretty much free.

I want to use roller bearings on each output shaft, but I have a lack of knowledge here - will roller bearings work fine with GL5 oil, or do roller bearings need to be greased? If so, should I spec sealed bearings as the oil and grease could contaminate each other.

Any ideas?

Jonny_Jimbo wrote:
This is not related to Triumphs, but it seemed like a good place to start.

One of our projects at uni is to design a differential for use in one of the uni racing cars. It has to be bike (chain, not shaft) driven using an Audi Torsen internal. Other than that we're pretty much free.

I want to use roller bearings on each output shaft, but I have a lack of knowledge here - will roller bearings work fine with GL5 oil, or do roller bearings need to be greased? If so, should I spec sealed bearings as the oil and grease could contaminate each other.

Any ideas?
I would use sealed bearings as they are maintainance free, otherwise use greased bearings

What axial loads?
You will be using a chain drive.
In a enclosed diff axial loads are created by the pinion pushing against the crown wheel, you do'nt have that.

As for running in a bath of GL5. Get a grip !

KISS   Keep it simple stupid.

Diff has to run in a bath of GL5, or rather the outer casing has to be oil tight as we have to use the internals from an Audi Torsen diff, which must be submerged up to 2/3rds in GL5 oil.

Would I not have axial loads from the two output shafts on the bearings at the outside of the diff?

Also, I know I can't use brass in GL5 oil, but will bronze have the same problem with GL5, or will it be okay as it's an alloy of copper and tin rather than copper and zinc?

I'm thinking in terms of phosphor bronze thrust washers.

Archived