clutch slipping

Fizzy

It's most likely to be a worn clutch plate, sensible approach is to replace the clutch plate, cover and release bearing together. What you'll need is sold as a 3-piece clutch kit. I won't recommend a brand, but I will suggest that the top end Delphi (Borg & Beck) clutch kits have been troublesome in recent times, the design having been changed from original. Some of the budget branded kits look like good value, but I've no personal experience with them. New original equipment clutch kits will be found cheaply at autojumbles,
Cheers,
Bill.

Do check also that the system is releasing fully. You can see easily enough if the master cylinder/pedal is returning fully. You really need to take the transmission cover out to check that the slave cylinder is returning fully. Both these things are much less likely than a worn plate, but worth checking as they don't involve much work.

if you have to have the clutch out, make sure that it's not oil from the engine rear seal that is causing the slipping. You would need to change the clutch anyway as it would be contaminated, but if there is oil leaking over it then you need to fix this otherwise the new clutch will only last a few weeks.

Archived