mowerman

A thorny subject this I know but here goes..........the enigine on the Vit is now run in and it`s time to put some really decent expensive oil in it, or is it?

Some background to the engine, lightened, balanced, uprated cam, std carbs, uprated oil pump rejetted, revs to approx 6500 no problems.  Because of the way I drive it and the fact that the spotlamps restrict the airflow thru` the grill a little it runs slightly hotter than it used to with the standard engine. Oil pressure hot at 2500rpm is 70psi ish, whilst hot at tickover it drops to 20psi ish. (I know it`s more to do with flow but those pressures are ok with me). It was run in on normal 20w50 from Castrol and when drained was fairly clean and still light in colour. There were no metallic particles on the magnetic sump plug. So..... what do I run it on in normal daily`ish use? Do I stick with a good quality 20w50, ie Castrol or go for a top quality synthetic such as Valvoline? Will paying £40 for 5 litres really make that much difference to the engine longevity, or is a £20 oil good enough? Sorry this goes on a bit but I wanted to give as much info as possible before seeking advice. Thanks, Steve.

I've just run my 1500 in and have refilled with Millers 20/50 fully synthetic.  A local MG restoration garage is a stockist and run their race cars on it. The oil pressure is definately higher when hot than the preceeding Comma 20/50 mineral oil I used to run it in with.

I go with Rumpith on the Valvoline, I saw immediate improvements on my Spit at hot idle once I had filled it with the good stuff. High revs pressure can be misleading IMHO as pretty much anything that is being pumped around at speed will develop good pressure on the gauge.

Archived