DavejBaxter

OK Guys, heres one to get your head around.

Which way up does an oil cooler go ??

Do you put with the inlet+outlet facing down ? That way it drains when changing oil, etc BUT it would be full of air (would'nt it?) and not efficient.
OR
do you put outlets at top, more efficient, but not drainable. (or is it?)
Dave

You really want mount the oil cooler to get as much air as possable and not block the radiator.

Pipe work at the top so that it does not knocked off.

So with a Spitfire between the chassis rails the pipes at the top.

I take mine off every second oil change and drain it

If you fit one with a thermostat I doubt it'll drain completlely anyway-as if the stat's closed, as it would be unless you're dragging a caravan up Hardknott pass, air can't get in behind the oil to allow it to drain.

A previous owner fitted a totally unnessessary monster sized oil cooler to mine, luckily with a thermostat,  and I don't think I've ever got the oil hot enough to open the thermostat.

Without a thermostat an oil cooler probably does more harm than good as it prevents the oil getting up to a proper operating tempeature.

Perhaps I should have pointed out that the cooler is now fitted to the car (pipes up), but the car is not used on the road. It is track car, and spends its life mostly flat out and sideways. Much like my road cars !!  So the oil gets a real tough time. Have just done a lot more work to the engine and replaced the gearbox, so while it was in bits it made sense to do a few "upgrades" to try to help the old girl keep her cool.
Dave

At the top, so the oil has to fill the cooler before exiting so purging out the air.

Or if mounting vertically oil needs to come in the bottom and out the top for the same reason.

For complete oil changes take out the cooler and drain separatly then re fill with new oil before re-connecting. Saves a few seconds letting it fill from the oil pump.

Andy

Archived