There's a hole in my carburettor ...

mikey

... dear Liza, dear Liza!!

OK, So I started up the wee beastie for the first time in a while (long while!) and got this really overpowering smell of petrol, lift the bonnet to see fuel pouring from vicinity of the float chamber lid on the first carb, the one closest to the bulkhead. Thought it might be a gasket or pipe gone but on closer inspection it's coming out of a hole just underneath the fuel outlet connection for the second carb.

Any ideas what's happened or what this hole is all about?? Should there have been a blanking plug in it and for some reason it's popped out? I can't find any decent drawings or pictures of the float chamber lid to show what should be there!

cheers

The float chamber needle valve is not stopping the fuel flow. I suspect the valve is jammed (debris/rust) or gummed up with dead petrol as it's been standing.

Undo the 3 screws on the lid of the resevoir to get access to the valve behind the float. Try freeing it off or blasting it out with compressed air.

Burlen Fuel Services, Canleys, Paddocks, Rimmers, Moss etc sell replacement valves.

mikey wrote:
Should there have been a blanking plug in it and for some reason it's popped out? I can't find any decent drawings or pictures of the float chamber lid to show what should be there!

Yours sounds as it should be, later Spits had drain hoses from there to below the engine.

Once you've fixed it as Richard describes fit a fuel filter somewhere in the line (if you haven't already)

Mikey,

The hole is meant to be there, it is the float chamber overflow.  Later cars/carbs have a pipe stub there to allow the overflow to be piped away.

As others have already said the overflow is caused by the needle valve (works the same way as the ballcock in your lavatory cistern) sticking open or sometimes (if you have just fitted a new fuel pump) excessive fuel pressure.  Usually it is dirt or rust flakes causing it, so the advice already given to fit an inline filter is good.

Nick

Cheers all, will give it a try and let you know. In-line filter fitted (and replaced about 4 months ago!) so I'm hopping it's just gummed up.

Just out of interest, is there supposed to be one on each carb as the other doesn't have one? That's what got me thinking there was supposed to be a blanking plug of some sort ... why would you need an overflow in the first place? ... do they stick that often to warrant one??  ;D yikes!!  ;D ;D

OK, so just incase your interested ... I stripped out the first float chamber, cleaned, reassembled and replaced. Did the same to the second and ironically found the overflow hole under a black metal clip-on cover ... an accumulation of dirt kept that hidden! Started her up ... and fuel came pouring out of the overflow on the second carb!  :o  You know the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it!?! I ended up stripping them both and swapping the floats over which stopped the overflow for now.

... adds to ever growing shopping list new floats, needles, gaskets and also fuel line which decided to split as I did the jubilee clip up!!

thealligator wrote:

The in line fuel filter would have saved you a lot of probs

naaa ... think it's all down to age! The pointy end of the needle valves have an "engraved" ring around them from wear! The floats have worn where they touch the valve, almost to a point where they won't shut the fuel off (almost!!!) I suspect they're the original parts!! A fuel filter's been on the car since I bought it yeas ago .... unless your saying i could have had more fun n games without one????

Archived