Sue

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice before Christmas. I got the AA book of the car and between that, the Haynes and another workbook I got my head around what I needed to do.. and watched and learned while a mechanically minded friend tried to clean out the Stromberg for me.

Things did not go well. After a trip round to see Sid, who had every metal working tool known to man in his shed and, my friend assured me, was the man to see when things start to go wrong, it was concluded that nothing was going to prise the float chamber off. It wouldn't budge. Couldn't figure out why... except the brushing screw was warped where someone had been heavy handed with it in the past... So he got the air compressor out, gave it a blast and popped it back on the car. Job kinda done.

Good news is that the engine is now running much better... the bad news is that the carb is now leaking slightly from the gasket on the float chamber where we tried and failed to open it up to clean it. Unfortunately as I can't get the float chamber off I can't replace the gasket. Has anyone had this sort of problem with a Stromberg 150 before? Should I admit defeat with this one and go on the hunt for a replacement or is there anything I could do to seal it up from the outside?

Thanks

Sue

Pop to a motorfactors and get some sealant with is petrol safe. If it's leaking badly replace it. If it's only slight then put some around the leak. It'll be a bodge, but you'll have some sealant to hand when you need it in the future.

peterhlewis wrote:
Sue  did you manage to remove all 5 screws from the float bowl and also unscrew the whole brass jet assembly,

The brass jet assembly would not unscrew - it looks as though someone has used a wrench to tighten it up and has warped the brass... it was well and truly stuck... Sid tried every tool he had and nothing would budge it. So I suppose that means that I can't adjust the float level...

I have been offered a carb for £25 plus p&p... maybe thats the way to go?

If the jet mount is distorted (Lord knows how this could happen) then replacing the carbi is probably the way to go.  Don't know what is a reasonable price over there.

Could have been someone has used some type of sealant to stop fuel leaking between bowl and jet mount.    There is a "o" ring around the mount to seal it to the bowl which is thicker in section than those usually found in "o" ring kits so the correct one should be used.   Have found various attempts to seal this area including cotten wound around in the "o" ring groove.

There is a second "o" ring around the jet which also should be replaced.  Often missed.

There is a good diagram of these carbs on the Spitfire site somewhere.

When overhauling, centering the jet can be a pain if you use the the old aluminium washer the at he top of the mount.  Distortion of this washer from previous tightening can couse the jet to move off centre on final tightening but sometimes you can be lucky.

Best of luck.

Smallfry, it is nice to have a forum where various opininions can be expressed.
I may be a bit old but I prefer Stromberg on the basis that they do not wear as quickly as SUs so when you get them set up you can forget them, a big advantage for a road car.
Unless you have SUs constantly tuned the economy and performance from the Stromberg is superior in my experience.
For what this is worth.  Mal.

Sue what will  you get for your £25 rebuilt, just second hand ,is it the right spec, ???
I bought a slave unit from stoneleigh last year for £5 complete as new good for a few spare bits .  
and just following on from junkuser, take a strom and a SU apart lay all the peices out ,,the SU is bits of pipe and meccano the Strom is better engineered all round
both can be very reliable an both can have troubles mostly due to misunderstandings    sounds like you need another carb and invest in a good worshshop manual so you can do your homework on problems   Peter  
did you ever get to a local CT orTSSC meeting (you dont have to be a member of either club to attend )to get the help of other owners,
priceless and free....Pete

£25 is for an un-used one from what I can discern: old, unused stock. I was relieved to find something more reasonably priced as Quiller quoted me £40 for a used one and £138 for a reconditioned one.

I haven't made it to a local meeting yet as the nearest one is forty miles away along country roads. I will wait until the light nights and a new carb before venturing out to it.

Thanks again for all your advice.

You will very unlikely find a better deal than 25 quid for a carb ... assuming that it is in good condition and all gaskets etc. are not damaged.

I would venture to say that Quillers are rarely the most competitively priced supplier. Also, if somebody says that an item it is reconditioned it is well worth asking them precisely what exactly they mean by reconditioned!

I also prefer Strombergs and find them far easier to work on ... primarily because it's the first type I had. Stick with what you know!

Archived