herald carb question

martin

From memory, I don't think so - the ports are different on the 1200 & 1300cc engines.  A Mk1 or Mk2 Spit manifold should fit (twin SU's).  I'm sure I've seen 1200 heralds with single SU's, but don't know the source of the donors.

I may be wrong, if I am apologies - I'm sure someone will correct me!

Merry Xmas!

The 1200 has two inlet ports, the 1300 has four, so there's no way the any 1300 manifold will fit a 1200. The only common single carb conversion for the 1200 is an angled adaptor to fit a Stromberg CD150. This won't be too helpful as it still sits high on the engine.
There are various aftermarket manifolds to fit a sidedraught Weber or Dellorto, but this is starting to head down a different road. Easiest solution (as already suggested) is the twin carb installation from a Mk1/2 Spitfire. You will also need to fit the Spitfire exhaust manifold, together with matching Herald 12/50 downpipe if the Mk1 cast manifold is used.
Cheers,
Bill.

I've just remembered - I have an ex Mk1/2 Spitfire tubular exhaust manifold in mild steel going spare if you want to go down that route.  Available for minimal beer tokens.

It's in less than perfect condition - with a couple of terribly welded patches but it should last a while yet.  As the patches are at chassis level, a new section/join there would probably sort it out.

Archived