mikeyb

Does anyone know the difference between early and late Mk2 PI choke cables?

The book lists UKC 2121 up to MG75000 and 214888 for MG75000 on.

Guess what . . . . .  I have an early car with a briken choke cable . . . .  and my long stored strategic spare is a late one!    Doh!

Are they interchangeable?

Hmmn, as usual with me, the plot thickens!  ::)

Just removed my broken earlier type cables from the car and compared side by side - the earlier one would appear to be identical apart from the length of the cable that goes to the inlet manifold (fast idle?) - on the early car about a foot shorter!

So . . . .  the next question is what's the difference between early and late manifolds/linkages and can I adapt get my spare late cables to fit?  :-/

yes you can use the later cable on a pre-mg 75000 engine (132bhp) BUT you will not be able to link up the cable to the throttle bodies/fast idle attachment due to the cable being shorter, however in my experience it never does a lot anyway all you need is a touch of throttle when you crank the motor over. the longer cable to the metering unit is the same length and that is the important one to have set properly ie choke fully out/metering unit excess fuel lever all the way across ensuring the cable doesn't foul the bulk head when the choke is fully in.

Yep I've come to the same conclusion, I never had the butterfly cable connected with the old cable anyway as the end was too butchered to go through the hole.

I fitted the new (late) cable today - it worked a treat on the MU.  WOuld be nice to get the fast idle sorted though, whilst it is not an issue in the current warm weather, it may well be next winter!

Archived