Oil pressure mystery

carlton x

I have a 1500 midget engine in my herald and it’s recently developed low oil pressure after about 15 minutes driving on start up its in 80 then it will go down to 20 and when this happens you can hear a rattle , iv changed the oil pump and also the oil pressure relief valve clean oil and filter I’m  at a loss , so I’m contemplating getting rid of the engine 

Sounds like you’ve got some sad bearings. 1500s like to “do” bearings, especially if held at reasonably high rpm for long periods.  What diff ratio in you Herald and do you have overdrive? Mains tend to drop the most pressure and big ends make the most noise. Did you look at them while you were in there?

Also, new oil pump doesn’t always mean good oil pump. You must measure them before fitting. Some are worse than the one being replaced!

Nick

Well worth dropping the sump and checking the big end, and even the main bearings. A fresh set can often give an engine a new lease of life for minimal outlay (except shampoo!) but it sounds like you have already been into the engine.

What oil (brand+rating) are you using?

10 hours ago, Clive said:

Well worth dropping the sump and checking the big end, and even the main bearings. A fresh set can often give an engine a new lease of life for minimal outlay (except shampoo!) but it sounds like you have already been into the engine.

What oil (brand+rating) are you using?

I used and and always use classic car oil

7 hours ago, carlton x said:

Thank you for all the reply’s very helpful iv got a few options but I’m thinking of just getting an engine at the moment 

You may be better off getting yours machined or whatever. Buying a used engine can be a case of frying pan and fire..... unless you get to see the engine running, get hot and still maintain oil pressure and drive correctly. 

Honestly, if you changed the oil pump, the bearings are a simple job. Or even a reground crankshaft, but that requires the engine to be taken out of the car. But then you know it is correct.

18 hours ago, carlton x said:

Yes tick over is about 10k and is very smooth 

Hmm ok, so what pressure do you get at 2000 rpm when hot? The manual says it should be over 40psi I think. 

Not doubting your diagnosis but it's worth double checking before doing major surgery! My pressure will drop to around 20psi at tickover when hot, but that's at about 700-800rpm so doesn't concern me.

You've got the rattle as well, which sounds worrying but is there any chance it's something else? Exhaust downpipe knocking on chassis rail?

On 19/01/2022 at 11:28, PeteStupps said:

Hmm ok, so what pressure do you get at 2000 rpm when hot? The manual says it should be over 40psi I think. 

Not doubting your diagnosis but it's worth double checking before doing major surgery! My pressure will drop to around 20psi at tickover when hot, but that's at about 700-800rpm so doesn't concern me.

You've got the rattle as well, which sounds worrying but is there any chance it's something else? Exhaust downpipe knocking on chassis rail?

Definitely not the exhaust ,I wish it was ! , mine drops to around 20-25 after been driven for a while and that’s when the knocking starts it gets louder on acceleration 

Bearings bearings bearings.

You need to drop the sump and have a look. As you can hear noises when the pressure is low, there will be damage beyond plain west, but do it now and you just might get away with new shells only.

Big ends are easy enough to access, as are the centre and rear mains. The front is a bit awkward as the bridge piece has to come out to give access. I have been known to leave the front ones alone and just renew the others. The front main is generally the least worn and the bottom half of the centre main the worst….. as it takes the most thump.  Obviously check out the oil pump again while you are in there.

Nick

• Like 1