13/60 head gasket set question

oldbury863

I have carried out a de-coke on my Herald and its time to buy a new head gasket set. I was leaning towards a Payen set but Ive noticed that the manifold gasket is of dimpled metal, not like the one previously fitted. 

Firstly, is this type generally considered the better one to go for, and secondly should I use any Blue Hylomar [of which I am generally a fan] when fitting it or is that a no-no in this application?

Payen gaskets are reputed to be the one of the best, I’ve just bought a payen head set,  New old stock to keep just in case my Herald ever needs to have the head taken off

which it undoubtedly will at some point, I’ve just fitted a new manifold gasket and it’s of the dimpled type you mention as was the original one that I took off 

Edited by Wendy Dawes

I like the dimpled metal gaskets, haven't had any issues using them on several rebuilds. Saying that, I don't always renew the manifold gasket anyway.

I never use sealant there personally. Obviously anything you do use would have to be suitable for the extreme temperature of the exhaust manifold.

19 minutes ago, oldbury863 said:

Thanks for the replys, I'll go with the Payen set + metal gasket without sealant and report on the results when the jobs done.

It may be worth a thin circle of Blue Hylomar or similar type sealant around the rear corner on both sides of the gasket for the oil feed hole up to the Rockers?

This is a notorious area for leaking.

Regards

Gary 

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my Payen head gasket from Rimmers. What's printed on the label doesnt fill me with optimism! It states '1200', then the cc is incorrect (1269 instead of 1296) and to top it all, even Triumph is spelt incorrectly!! What was that about mixed reviews?😟IMG-1062.thumb.jpg.e7c33719849d21304982b8cafa77f8b6.jpg

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, oldbury863 said:

Just received my Payen head gasket from Rimmers. What's printed on the label doesnt fill me with optimism! It states '1200', then the cc is incorrect (1269 instead of 1296) and to top it all, even Triumph is spelt incorrectly!! What was that about mixed reviews?😟

Have a close look at it but I think IF your head and block are flat you'll be ok. We're not talking race engines here but old low tune 'tractor' engines that generally wont be driven hard or do a lot of miles😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldbury863 said:

Just received my Payen head gasket from Rimmers. What's printed on the label doesnt fill me with optimism! It states '1200', then the cc is incorrect (1269 instead of 1296) and to top it all, even Triumph is spelt incorrectly!! What was that about mixed reviews?😟IMG-1062.thumb.jpg.e7c33719849d21304982b8cafa77f8b6.jpg

If you do a search of www.fmecat.eu it looks like they could have purchased a lot of trade names going by their photos on the site. So the contents could be from anywhere and of varying specs. A bit like 'G' Plan etc. in the 70's to get in to the market.