Dolomite Sprint dizzy in a TR7 engine

Toledo Man

I've just done this on my Dolomite 1850 and it is something that I'd recommend to TR7 owners. Not only are the points easier to get to on a Sprint dizzy but the Sprint dizzy being a Lucas one is easier to find parts for and it gives you more options for electronic ignition. As some of you know the Dolomite 1850 uses the same Delco dizzy as the TR7 (described as the "work of Satan" by somebody on here). The points are difficult to get to on the 1850 but it is worse with the TR7.

What you need:
The dizzy itself.
The adaptor plate.
An extra pair of bolts to fit the adaptor plate to the block.
Dolomite 1300/Dolomite 1500/Spitfire 1500 dizzy cap & rotor arm.
Points & condensor or electronic ignition of choice.

The adaptor plate is necessary because the adjustment bolts for the Sprint dizzy are in a different place to the Delco one. I fitted a Britpart electronic ignition which is a direct replacement for the points and condensor. I got it running with points and then I fitted the electronic ignition. With some other types of electronic ignition it might be possible to set the static timing. It was impossible with the Britpart kit so I set the static timing with the points. I got everything I needed for a total cost of about £40 delivered to my door. The ignition kit was brand new and the rest of the bits I got secondhand from TDC forum members. Well worth it to be rid of troublesome points that need constant checking and better running.

Electronic ignition for Delco distributor: I fitted the Aldon Ignitor to suit 4 cylinder Delco D302-7992715 distributors fitted to Triumph TR7, Delco - D302 - 4 Cylinder MR-LS2  (£80). So far it has worked very well (engine starts first try at all temperatures, perfect ignition at all revs up to rev limit, no flat spots).

1958 wrote:
Electronic ignition for Delco distributor: I fitted the Aldon Ignitor to suit 4 cylinder Delco D302-7992715 distributors fitted to Triumph TR7, Delco - D302 - 4 Cylinder MR-LS2  (£80). So far it has worked very well (engine starts first try at all temperatures, perfect ignition at all revs up to rev limit, no flat spots).

I have fitted that before and it does indeed work well.

I have another kit for the DHC but not fitted it yet as it is running well on the original points system :)