Electronic Ignition

Nick Jackson (2)

I'm still running on points, which I don't mind except I'm wondering whether I'd get more MPG by swapping to electronic ignition.  I suppose it's a question of purchase cost versus savings in fuel.  Does anyone have any ideas about MPG improvement, as I always thought you could gain about 3 MPG with electronic ignition.   Seems like it would only take a couple of years to get my money back on about 3,000 miles p.a.

Which is the best unit - luminition or newtronic/piranha?

Thanks.

I don't know how much fuel you save but the smoother running and not having to keep adjusting the points is, in my view, worth the outlay in itself.

I've only got experience of Piranha - never given a problem despite the underbonnet heat from a V8 with tubular manifolds.  Fit and forget...

Steve H

Piranha is no longer available. Changed to Newtronic, they are now out of business.

Electronic ignition is a good idea. Fit and forget, smoother running.

Have a look on my blog, there is a section called "whats the point" which is about me changing the PI to the GEC system (advertised in Club Torque). Neat, easy to fit and made a huge difference.

Highly recommended.

Hello Nick,

as a it of a sceptic about the claims for electronic ignition, I doubt that you will feel any performance increase nor a saving in fuel?
Bear in mind that it is unlikely that anybody has fitted a system to a car that has just had new points fitted and adjusted, i.e the comparison is not really valid. Also a worn distributor with electronic ignition is still a worn distributor.
If you find that adjusting points periodically is too much trouble, fair enough, another point, who is going to say that after the expense of fitting electronic ignition that there is no benefit?

Alec

Most people perceive an improvement but that's usually because the original points were worn or mal-adjusted. That said, I've always preferred leccy ignition but always keep a full ignition set in the car in case th eleccy ignition packs up. When leccy ignition goes wrong you can't see it, fix it or bodge it - let's face it, points are bodgeable  :)

The Aldon/Pertronix system is quite popular http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/ for the cheapest place to buy (no financial interest on my part) I've bought from these guys several times, although it looks like it's US based they actually come form Camberley!

Personally, I found an improvement with the Newtronics electronic ignition and points replacement setup. The car starts well and I can hear that it idles better and see the results with a strobe light (steady position, no scatter). IMHO The setup removes many of the mechanical factors that come with a worn distributor and for me has been reliable in the four years since I fitted the kit.

Better MPG? Don't really know! But just think of what I've saved in points and condensors.

Cheers!

Steve B

Archived