Ignition Key Stuck!

Spitfire1500

Hey everyone,

I was trying out my newly cut keys on my car today to see if they were good and now my ignition key is completely stuck!

I have sprayed some WD40 into the slot in the hope it does something but it probably won't, going to give that two or three days to take effect but now I don't know what to do!

I'm going to complain to the store in person when I get either the ignition barrel out or the key out but I've never taken the ignition out before, anything I should note?

Thanks,

David

Try 3 in 1 oil or similar, rather than WD40. WD40 is for cleaning and penetrating, you need something for lubricating in this instance. Wriggling the key in and out may be enough to free it with a lubricating oil's help.

A lot of the time when new keys are cut there are little burrs and sharp bits on them, this is what will catch on the more worn bits in your ignition barrel. When you get the key out (however you manage it) take a small round file to it and  gently smooth any sharp bits, just until they don't feel like they could cut you.

i kow this sounds stupid but you could try wiggiling the steering wheel and the key itself bit whilst trying to coax it out. I have had this problem on other cars. Dont go for brute force and ignorance and rip the ignition barrel out tho :) )

My spit keys sometimes get stuck and i find wiggling the wheel and turning the key at the same time can free them (though this is usually caused by the steering lock)

good luck (i think karen's is sensible advice)

Archived