Lost Ignition light & stuff

RedRooster

I've a long running (actually not starting as well, but that'll be another thread) GT6 Mk3 restoration, about 14 yrs now! Well after 4 house moves i decided i really ought to get on with it.
I've just fitted a Hi Torque starter from Canley, however i have no ignition light now, i did on the old starter though. Has any one any ideas as the coil is getting 12V & the dash bulb lights if i put 12v to that, could it be the alternator? I should call Canley but have already called them after putting my dizzy on 180 degress out, doh!, i would like to get this one myself.

Also i have a water pump which seems to be weeping from the spindle, is this a chuck it & replace item?

cheers
Brad

Changing the starter motor should make no difference as it is not involved in the wiring path for the ignition light; the path is from the ignition switch, via the lamp, then to the field winding terminal on the alternator. I suppose it is possible something has been disturbed when fitting it, plus on some later cars there is a connection from this circuit to the starter solenoid. Did you remove any wire from the starter solenoid at all?

If the water pump is leaking from the shaft, then it's a replacement job I'm afraid. About £30 from the usual suppliers.

Ah,

i've just replaced the starter solenoid twice, the first one didn't engage the starter, the second (new) one kept sticking in the on position, maybe i've put the wires on wrong, i'll check.

Looks like the money pits going to need a new water pump then. She's just had a new battery, fuel pump & Hi Torque starter too.

Anyone know where would be a good place to source some 2nd hand trim parts, i've lost a head lining, door handle, aerial, rear chrome trim & various bits & pieces, i really don't know how as i made sure i packed everything when i moved house.
cheers
Brad

You don't need the old starter solenoid with a hi-torque starter - it has it's own. Replacement standard type solenoids are crap quality in my experience. Connect the starter direct to the battery and move the red white wire from the old solenoid to the spade on the hi-torque.

Archived