Sub £10 ignition scope :)

spunkymonkey

I still think this is ............very ................ brilliant!

But however brilliant I think it is, I can't use  it  - I don't have an iPhone!
Never mind - I'll go on looking for a Crypton tune-up machine.
Which could answer your Q, snf!

JOhn

I've got a Krypton, came my way cheaper than the DIY scope too!  I have not used it yet due to too much crap being piled around it in the garage, but I wondering if it would do similar to the DIY scope. The garage is getting clearer now, I'm loooking forwards to having a play with it - had better read the user manual first though  :-)

jcarruthers wrote:
Krypton plugs on to each lead if I remember rightly? So you'd need as many channels as cylinders— could still be doable.

Can you plug in more than one of these USB soundcards? (and use them all at once)

You can, but the programming involved gets a little nasty because OS producers tend not to expect you to be doing that.

That said, for anything but very obscure faults there's generally no need.  Two channels will allow you to trigger from an inductive pick-up on plug lead No 1, then display the traces "in order" using the other channel either from the coil -ve (as I am at the moment) or using a capacitive pick-up on the coil HT lead.  

It would be easy to then modify the software to produce a "raster" display from that, by adding a vertical off-set to each successive trace up to the number of cylinders, so they display one below the other.  

At the moment I'm only picking up the primary from the coil because I haven't quite sussed how to make a reliable inductive pick-up and borrowing the one from my multimeter would be cheating for a DIY project ;)

On to rev.3 now, with tacho and automatic sensing of dwell (both still a little experimental) as well as faster plotting and the "invert inputs" works properly now for sound-cards that don't play nice!  The plotting might even be fast enough now to go for 16-bit samples, which will give much better "y" resolution and let it deal with much lower voltage signals, but that's a pretty big make-over to convert it so want to get the basic version absolutely "right" first.

No screen-shots at the moment cos I'm not going out to plug it into the car at midnight but the attached version is a mere 16kb download if people want to see it for themselves :)

Archived