Basic ignition checks

GT6boy

Bought the Gunson's 'Flashtest' yesterday. What a marvellous little tool(especially so as it only cost �5!)
Methodical testing showed leads all leads reading capable of discharging consistently across a 15mm air gap(20kV+ alledgedly), but lead 5 only reading good to 11-12mm air gap(18-19kV alledgedly).
I then checked the resistence of each HT lead in turn, all good. So, I need to buy a new distributor cap, as this may be the source of the slightly lower reading.
I have a new one here somewhere- it's not lost, just I can't quite put my hand on it at present. :B

That's the good news; the bad news is there appears to be a least 4 seperate oil drips onto the garage floor now, from the engine/GB/OD.
The Amoco Cadiz rides again.... ;)

GT6boy wrote:

That's the good news; the bad news is there appears to be a least 4 seperate oil drips onto the garage floor now, from the engine/GB/OD.
The Amoco Cadiz rides again.... ;)

It's a Triumph - they like to mark their territory........ :-/  You'll go mad and be carted off before you cure them all completely!  Triumph gearbox oil leaks drove me to fit a Toyota gearbox that still leaks  ::)(but less).  The major success there was that the new exhaust route means that the oil misses it so at least I don't have to put up with the stench of burning gear-oil.  Oh, and it doesn't lubricate the clutch anymore either ;D

Nick

Cheers nick. The interesting thing is the different degrees of degredation to the oil:as new/slightly soiled/soiled/burnt to buggery and then there's the stuff that never lived beyond dripping onto the Battle of the River Plate recreation device(exhaust). :B
My drip tray is now so big, it goes under the engine/GB AND the diff!!!!!!! ;D

Archived