MkI PI in Valencia

Richard B

This has been a real weldathon. With a house move causing a project hiatus. July-Sept 2020

Counter-intuitively I welded on the inner wheelarch on, then fitted the outer wheelarch repair section. Then I took the wing off to repair the hidden horror stories.

DSC_0382.JPG

DSC_0381.JPG

DSC_0396.JPG

DSC_0403.JPG

DSC_0405.JPG

Well Colin, the Pi is in the nice warm garage, next to the Stag for reassembly, hopefully it can stay there.

Yes PeteStupps you are correct. It was reduced price as it had been dropped or fallen over, fortunately Pete from East Sussex came over and helped me correct the alignment. Partly done with a Porta-Pack and some cutting and re-welding. Ideally I should get some Metz blue paint to finish it off. I was looking at reinforcing the frame as it is made of Chinesium. However there is supposed to be some flex (I believe), looking to get some 70mm square tube at sometime. There are loads of YouTube videos of people upgrading them, especially in the States.

DSC_0300.JPG

DSC_0301.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you for a reminder how rusty a Mk1 can be! Good to see proper welding repairs. 

Still hope mine is not that far gone - but  have bought new inner and outer rear wings because I know the arches are gone inside & out. Just hope the rear floor and sills do not need too much metal.

2022 1009 Gilze LA.jpg

Here is Hilary helping wash the car after it was returned and Alison helping fit the door seals.

The seals come as a straight length from Chris Witor. This cutter helps to do a 45 degree cut and then some superglue to join the ends.

Bradley having fun with the polishing mop!

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

Went to fit the boonet moulding and promptly stripped the thread of two of the studs! I had a recoil kit 10-32 UNF, but I needed a bottom tap. £30 on line, ouch, but managed to find one on the bay of evil for lot less. Result.

However loads of fun trying to drill and tap it parallel to the remaining stud.

DSC_0006 (2).JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0008 (2).JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0014 (2).JPG

On 14/03/2023 at 18:00, Dion said:

Thank you for a reminder how rusty a Mk1 can be! Good to see proper welding repairs. 

Still hope mine is not that far gone - but  have bought new inner and outer rear wings because I know the arches are gone inside & out. Just hope the rear floor and sills do not need too much metal.

2022 1009 Gilze LA.jpg

Hi Dion, Does that look like excess toe-in or is it just the camera angle?

You may find rust in the boot area by the inner  rear wing and the floor under the rear seat by the sub-frame mount. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Must be the camera angle. Never noticed toe-in wear at that tyre.
Hope not to find too much rust when I about to tackle the rear wing! That's about the time I will get started practising my stretcher/shrinker too - bought at a discount some years ago. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, Throttle pedal, Headlining and Brake/Clutch Pedal Box.

Had to take the washer off the shaft, so that I could get the bracket off, weld up the worn pivot hole in the bracket and the wear in the shaft. I also welded a couple of washers to the bracket to spread the load. I did think about fitting a bush but considered that to be over engineering the problem. Throttle pedal has a lot less slop than previously.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

On to the headlining, had loads of fun persuading the rods to go through the loops. On the original HL the loops are fabric whereas the new HL has vinyl loops. I wonder were they originally sewn into the loops?

Managed to do it with the aid of vaseline. Don't forget the rods are different (and colour coded). Had to cut about 2" back at each end, on each loop, to fit the rod.

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

Pedal box stripped, cleaned, painted. New bushes pressed in. Don't you love that 'ping' sound as a bush decides not to go into the hole but instead launches itself across the garage? Necessitating a search of the floor to find the bloody thing...

On a MkI PI (with a remote servo), you have the additional plate in the engine bay for the pedal box.

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

Bumpers, bought some of the Stainless Steel brackets and overrider bolts from Chris Witor. As they get a lot of abuse from the English weather!

I hate trying to unbolt seized, rusty components. Before and after with the Autosol. The bumpers are not perfect, but this is to be a presentable road car.

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

• Like 2