MkI PI in Valencia

Richard B

Front & Rear bumpers mounted, waiting for some S/S 3/8"UNF Setscrew x 3/4" long to mount to the Front Wings.

Headlining rods mounted, definitely two pairs of hands required for that. Waiting for assistants and a quantity of bulldog clips to try and fit to edges before glueing.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Some wrinkles but the best we could get at the time.

Went to fit a heater box that I had resealed years ago, only to realize that a pre facelift heater box is different to a post 67 heater box. Duh!!

So now I am overhauling the original one!

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

Bayof evil, search for Mitre Shears Multi Angled Anvil Cutters UPVC Trim Tube Gasket Moldings 45-135°

You also need some good (proper) superglue to put the two sections together. I think we fitted the pieces on the door and then glued in situ.

s-l500.jpg

s-l500a.jpg

• Like 1

About 50 clips on the rear screen  and 30 clips on the front screen. Another 5 or 6 clips for each door.

Mostly used 19mm (3/4") clips, as they fit the lip better and alow you to keep the tension whist pushing the clip on. I used some 25mm (1") ones, but they did not grip as strong and were not as easy to fit whilst pulling the headlining into place.

It is very much an iterative process!

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this photo from June 2020 where the daughters helped push the MkI out of storage into the workshop. Yes, that is my Damson MkI PI Estate tucked away there. I know Chris Bottle will be hassling me at Paignton "When are you going to start on that Estate?"

Also showing the old inner wing compared to the new.

I also had to do some fettling to the outer wing repair panel to get it to fit better.

This was some of the repairs I had to do which meant taking the wing off for access.

DSC_0372.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

DSC_0421.JPG

DSC_0402.JPG

DSC_0411.JPG

DSC_0405.JPG

DSC_0384.JPG

DSC_0388.JPG

DSC_0390.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Then someone suggested I clean and paint the the front suspension. When I took the subframe off I found some more rust, hidden away!

Also fitted larger Drag-Strut cups, as fitted to the later cars. One Track Control Arm bolt did NOT want to come out. Some serious drilling required!

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

DSC_0076.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG

Welding and painting engine bay, front suspension starting to go back on. Hilary cleaning door trims for me, whilst I make new hardboard panels. New bulkhead bush fitted, which meant the steering column has to come out. The anti-rollbar brackets/bushes are the ones Chris Witor used to supply (many years ago).

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG