Vitesse MkI bonnet badge query

th1360

I believe the badge showing below was fitted to the bonnet of the 1600cc Vitesse 6 cars

The vast majority of the Vitesse MkI cars that I have seen do not have this badge.

However, a small proportion of the Vitesse MkI cars do seem to have this badge on the bonnet.

I was just wondering if Triumph ever fitted this badge to the bonnets of the Vitesse MkI cars in the factory?

If so was there any specific reason they fitted it to certain cars and not others or were they fitted at any specific points of the production run?

Alternatively, is it more likely a Vitesse MkI fitted with this badge will have had it added at a later date (or even have had a replacement bonnet)?

Vitesse 6 (1600) cars had that badge, 2 Litre MKl cars didn't IIRC.  Both 6 and MKl 2 Litres had "TRIUMPH" lettering on the bonnet whereas MK2 cars had a small Vitesse badge over to the left, off centre.  MKl cars had 2 litre wing badges, MK2 wing badges said MK2 IIRC.  Are you confusing a Vitesse 6 with a MKl 2 Litre?

Mark

My Mk1 2L Vitesse does have the badge, but that's because it's got a 1600 bonnet (and actually it's all 1600 badging). Admittedly it's a very early 2L but I'm pretty sure all this is the result of inaccurate restoration rather than factory mix-up. I'm not sure on the wing badges but Mk1 2L should have a "2L" badge on the grill.

My Vitesse 2-Litre Mk I also have this badge. It was build in October 1966 so I guess it was one of the first MkI to leave the factory. I'm not 100% sure that the bonnet (and badge) is original, but I think so. The carbs should be for GT6 according to the numbers stamped on them, and I think they are original too, but of course I can't know for sure. The car has not been renovated except new paint some time in the 80's.

Thanks for the replies

The car fitted with this badge is a late (1968 manufactured) 2 litre MkI Vitesse

So it looks like either a previous owner has added the badge or alternatively the car has had a replacement bonnet fitted from an earlier 1600cc Vitesse 6 car at some point in the past