TR7 failing to turn over, then does…Is it the heat?!?!

TReslaV8

To explain, after 900 miles in 36 hours (yes the C2C!) and a long drive home in 30 degrees, the car was parked on the drive for about an hour. Went to start to move it into the garage and just a click and dashboard lights but no attempt to turn the engine. Come back after tea (about another hour) and it starts immediately as per normal.  A faulty/over heated coil? I am going to check for loose connections on the starter motor too tired tonight after C2C!!).

Coincidentally the radio stopped responding on the return journey too (as well as headlamp pods not rising!) so it has suddenly developed some electrical gremlins. These two may be unconnected but welcome ideas.

If you get a click and it doesn't turn the engine (having eliminated the earths) then I'd say solenoid/starter are the suspects. What you do next kinda depends on your comfort levels in terms of mechanic-ing. 

I think the TR7 has a similar (same?) starter as the Dolomite 1850 I have?

Something like this?
image.thumb.png.e206fe74c13d74c330c7ab94b7244e1d.png

Stripping them down and changing the contacts in the solenoid cap is non-trivial but definitely a "DIY-possible" job. It does involve soldering though!

If you aren't comfortable with that then you are looking for somebody to do it for you or an exchange starter (very costly from what I understand!)

The solenoid caps with contacts etc can be bought new and last time I got some they were about 6 quid a piece.

Thanks for this, the starter and solenoid does look similar and is suitably inaccessible below the exhaust manifold etc. This is likely to be one I ask a garage/auto electrician to do, not least in that access (without a lift) is so awkward!. But appreciate the detail. The car has of course started perfectly since, so now wondering if to leave well alone 🤞

David

1 hour ago, TReslaV8 said:

The car has of course started perfectly since, so now wondering if to leave well alone 🤞

To be honest, I'd be tempted to. It could just be the first early signs of worn/dirty/sticking contacts in the solenoid - if it doesn't re-occur / get more frequent it could last for some time without needing attention. 

On 27/06/2023 at 14:46, yorkshire_spam said:

... I think the TR7 has a similar (same?) starter as the Dolomite 1850 I have? ...

The internals are the same. The mounting lugs are different.

Extended use on cars that have only been used for shorter trips can throw up some weird problems!
And sometimes they disappear, but more often they are an early warning for a more permanent failure.

In your case the engine heat might have had effect on the starter. Do you have the heat shield fitted?

• Like 1