TAX & MOT EXEMPTION

JLR

I understand that according to DVLA rules, my 1970 Herald 13/60 is exempt both from vehicle tax and MOT tests, but its online guidance is confusing. The log book states that it is "X Class - Historical Vehicle". Does that mean it's is automatically MOT exempt as well? Only the DVLA site states that one has to apply for MOT exemption under Category R in my case (an unmodified vehicle more than 40 years old) using Form V112, which one is supposed to present at the Post OFfice when re-taxing, which obviously doesn't apply. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

You are not tax exempt. It still needs to be taxed, but the cost is zero. Subtle difference.

If your car is over 40 years old, you can tick a box (I think) saying it complies with the MoT exemption rules etc and doesn't have to have an MoT certificate. Bear in mind it still needs to be capable of passing an MoT

Some post offices are not aware of the rules, ours being one. My daughter tried to 'tax' her Companion there last week and was told it needed an MOT , it doesn't (so long as it is roadworthy) because it is 63 years old.

I told her to 'tax' it on line, I did with my Dolomite. It is a tick box exercise as long as you have the tax reminder with the long code number on it, otherwise phone the DVLA.

• Like 1