Vitesse Mk2 rear suspension

Shepsy

Hello All.

I am now at a stage where I need to do something with my rear suspension.

I currently have the rotoflex system with lever arm shockers but the shocks need replacing. I am looking for the best conversion possible - which could include a driveshaft change.

Can anyone please advise me on the best modifications for my road going car?

Many thanks. 
Pete.

"Best" is a bit subjective, but here are is my 2p worth:

Genuine metalastic couplings are now eye-wateringly expensive. So  a CV conversion is a great idea. I have the Nick Jones conversion, which required the uprights to be machined. However, the parts supply for that conversion is tricky, and most use one of the conversions from the "usual suspects"

Shocks are tricky. With CVs you can use the std herald/spit length shocks as the rotoflexes are no longer in the way.  However, they are a bit angled on te mounts. To teh extend I keep wondering if I could improve that situation. But after only 8 years and over 30k hard miles, I am still thinking. I use Koni shocks, probably the best.

Hi Clive, 

I would really like a CV conversion and the telescopic shocks that you can fit without the bracket conversion.

Unfortunately, I have read that there are weaknesses with some of the cv driveshaft conversions - whereby some owners have lost their wheels (GT6 on you tube) + others that the owner of the GT6 has been in contact with. This is why I’m asking the advice of the more experienced owners on here. Not sure if Nick Jones is still doing the conversion as I am struggling to find his contact details.

Many thanks. Pete 

1 hour ago, Shepsy said:

Hi Clive, 

I would really like a CV conversion and the telescopic shocks that you can fit without the bracket conversion.

Unfortunately, I have read that there are weaknesses with some of the cv driveshaft conversions - whereby some owners have lost their wheels (GT6 on you tube) + others that the owner of the GT6 has been in contact with. This is why I’m asking the advice of the more experienced owners on here. Not sure if Nick Jones is still doing the conversion as I am struggling to find his contact details.

Many thanks. Pete 

Nicks conversion was never really sold as a kit. He used to get a few bits made, but the owner needed to find the Volvo lobro joints, the Rover100 shafts (there are a few lengths, but only one is suitable) and the outer rover100/MGF CV and hub. Nick had the inner adaptors made, and got the uprights machined. Nothing particularly secret, and others have done the machining too. 

Not sure which setups have a weakness. The canley classics conversion seems pretty bombproof, but no longer made. The CDD setup again looks to be strong. Which variety broke?

10 minutes ago, glang said:

Looks like CDD do two types CV and double UJ so I wonder which one it was. Either way I cant see you can avoid the shock bracket conversion on a mk2 Vitesse...

With a CV conversion, you can use the std herald/spit shocks. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, glang said:

Oh the mk2 Vitesse chassis still retains the original telescopic shock mounts does it? Sounds like that GT6 needs a CDD set up😯

Yes, the factory added the lever arm brackets to a normal chassis.

They were the CDD driveshafts, they are available for non-roto cars, and usefully the needle rollers do not run on the shaft. Not sure why they failed. But speaking with another owner who has them on his vitesse, he sent all his stuff to CDD to get them to assemble them. And there my knowledge expires! 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2023 at 20:46, Shepsy said:

Not sure if Nick Jones is still doing the conversion as I am struggling to find his contact details.

I’m not I’m afraid. I’m struggling to get the parts. Possibly there are other more modern parts combination that will work but the remaining market is small.

As regards the failures of other types, is this actually CV converted cars or after-market swing axles?

If definitely CV converted rotoflex cars suffering failures I’m interested in more detail. I have an idea I know what might be causing that and how it could be prevented.

21 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I’m not I’m afraid. I’m struggling to get the parts. Possibly there are other more modern parts combination that will work but the remaining market is small.

As regards the failures of other types, is this actually CV converted cars or after-market swing axles?

If definitely CV converted rotoflex cars suffering failures I’m interested in more detail. I have an idea I know what might be causing that and how it could be prevented.

Hi Nick I’ve asked the chap with the failure for more detail. Will update you if I can get more detail.

best regards 

Pete.

I ran Cvs on my 2.5 spitfire for  a long while and never had a problem. If I remember correctly they were from Canley classic. I now have Cvs on the stag too again i have never had a problem. 

There are lots of videos on fixed driveshafts failing when too much power is put through them too.