Core plug gone with deep puddle

Our RBRR has ended with a sudden loss of coolant after driving through a lake-like puddle near Edinburgh.

Super frustrating. Recovery is taking hours and it seems that, having pulled over fairly quickly, the car could be running again with a new plug and a coolant refill.

Any experience with this and thoughts on possible extent of damage?

13 hours ago, Baxter said:

having pulled over fairly quickly, the car could be running again with a new plug and a coolant refill.

Any experience with this and thoughts on possible extent of damage?

Probably way too late now, but yes. These iron engines are pretty tough. Biggest challenge would be finding the replacement core plug, though could be tricky to fit depending which one it is.

Not quite clear to me why driving through a deep puddle/flood would dislodge a core plug. Bad luck anyway. My commiserations.

Thanks everyone. Got home late last night - 20hrs after first contacting the RAC. Feeling at a bit of a loose end today, though of course I have plenty of jobs here on my other 2 cars. Good luck to everyone still running!

I'm not sure there is a connection between the puddle and the plug...just that 10 years and 12,000 miles after a full rebuild that was the precise moment it let go. Plunging hot metal into cold water?

In the morning we found the plug in the suspension turret. RAC man happily hammered it flat, saying it was too small/loose, then made a tight hylomar fit into the block. Coolant refilled and the engine warmed up sweetly. But clearly pressure could be felt building in the radiator hoses so suspect head gasket failure between cylinder and water jacket. Cause or effect of the ejected plug? Seems it could be either. Flatbed recovery confirmed at that point.

I'll report back when I redo the head but that will have to be a while. Things were getting quite hot by the time I found somewhere safe to pull over so I'll be checking head/block are straight and having a good look at the other plugs. Other concerns?

(Oh, Nick, it was the one between alternator and coil so pretty handy. Did I see you at Badgers Halt control last time? Wishing I was heading there now!)

Edited by Baxter

On 08/10/2023 at 09:34, Baxter said:

Did I see you at Badgers Halt control last time?

Yes….. it was I. sorry you didn’t make there this time.  Those early style core plugs are a little less secure. Or fussier about fitting correctly at least.  It’s normal to build pressure as the engine warms up - was it blowing bubbles in the header tank?

I had one come out of the back of the block on my Herald 1200 many years ago. That dumped hot water and steam into the front footwells as the tunnel cover didn’t fit very well….. Eeeek! Luckily, though I’d just driven 120 miles from London, it happened just as I was driving into my home village so I made home….

• Like 1