GT6 or TR6 Modern Starter Motor?

Anthony

I'm just about to buy a modern pre-engaged starter motor for my GT6.

The car's engine has been rebuilt to 2.6litre spec.

The gearbox is a reworked GT6 item.

I've been told that the early GT6 and Vitesse cars had a starter motor with a 89mm locating register (the part of the starter motor that locates into the rear engine plate) -- whereas the later GT6 and the TR6 cars had a 98mm locating register on their starter motors.

My guess is that the early cars had an inertia starter motor with a spacer, which not only brought the 98mm hole in the engine's back-plate down to 89mm, but also ensured the original bendix located in the correct position -- and that the later TR6 cars had a pre-engaged starter motor which did not require a spacer.

But this doesn't account for the later GT6 cars (which I believe always had a spacer and a inertia starter motor?)

Does anybody know if this information is correct, and which starter motor (89mm GT6 vs 98mm TR6) I should purchase for my GT6 with 2.6 engine and GT6 gearbox? , and whether I require the original spacer or not?

(My engine back-plate has a 98mm hole in it for the starter motor, but I believe all cars have this, and that the spacer reduces this to 89mm on the GT6 and Vitesse)

Thanks.

I have a 2.5 Vitesse tuned to 170BHP running 10:1 compression, also a saloon OD box but with the modified Vitesse flywheel.

I use a Powerlite starter, I ran a new heavy cable from the battery to the starter and made sure it had a good earth, it whizzes over really well.

I used the original spacer as it won`t disengage without it.

Steve